Bike carrier problem solved. - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Jeremy
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Washington
Posts: 8
Bike carrier problem solved.

I posted about finding a place to put my bikes on my 13' Scamp. A lot of great replies but Kenny Strong told me about a couple great ideas with my hitch. I attached the links below. This is great for what we need. Happy Scamping and thank you everyone for the help!

Dual Hitch Extender & Other Dual Hitch Receivers - Harbor Freight Tools

Multi-Use Ball Mount
__________________

NW Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,318
yep,,good solutions, i'm, getting one even though i have a hitchmount on the rear of our scamp. there may be times i want the bike up front and a cargo tray in the rear.
__________________

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,131
Registry
You might want to check out "Hitch Vice", as this will eliminate all the slop in a set-up like you are looking at. I purchased one because of the instability in my drop-down hitch....it really works!!
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
British Columbia
Posts: 6,509
Registry
The problem with these adapters is that they reduce your hitch capacity.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Posts: 159
Registry
Bike carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The problem with these adapters is that they reduce your hitch capacity.
True, but such hitch adaptor is a good solution for very light 13' Scamp and a couple of bikes. It is loaded at less than half hitch capacity.
__________________
Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
With either of these snazzy adapters - are you able to actually put a bike rack into the top receiver, without the bikes hitting the tank/battery etc on the front of the camper? (if you have a tank/battery upfront, that is)
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Posts: 159
Registry
Bike carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
With either of these snazzy adapters - are you able to actually put a bike rack into the top receiver, without the bikes hitting the tank/battery etc on the front of the camper? (if you have a tank/battery upfront, that is)
I've got a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a spare tire over the bumper, attached on the rear door. I can carry two bikes by using a spare tire rack mount without problems. If I wanted to carry a third bike, I would need an extension bar. Otherwise, it will hit the front of the Trillium while steering. I've got two propane tanks
__________________
Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,891
The spare on a Scamp is bolted through the rear of the body and there's a piece of plywood fiberglassed on the inside that the bolts run through. I wouldn't add a bike to the spare with that kind of mounting. That's a lot of up/down, wobbly weight constantly tugging on the tire.

and Martin, I realize you're talking about your tug... but, I didn't want newbies to think it might be a good idea for the back of their trailers.

YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
great, thanks martin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
I've got a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a spare tire over the bumper, attached on the rear door. I can carry two bikes by using a spare tire rack mount without problems. If I wanted to carry a third bike, I would need an extension bar. Otherwise, it will hit the front of the Trillium while steering. I've got two propane tanks
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
avfn's Avatar
 
Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Posts: 109
Registry
Hey I wonder if I can put this on my car and still use my hitch box on my car. hmmmm anyone know how much space there really is between the hitch and the tank? pictures of someone using this mount? here's the box i'm talking about. I think the box may just be TOO BIG.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,572
I don't think I would buy any type of hitch from Harbor Freight. Also, remember you don't want to hit anything hanging off the tow vehicle when you turn. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,738
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The spare on a Scamp is bolted through the rear of the body and there's a piece of plywood fiberglassed on the inside that the bolts run through. I wouldn't add a bike to the spare with that kind of mounting. That's a lot of up/down, wobbly weight constantly tugging on the tire.
and Martin, I realize you're talking about your tug... but, I didn't want newbies to think it might be a good idea for the back of their trailers.

YMMV
Donna is correct. When I looked at my options for bike rakes in reading reviews etc the tire mounted bike rakes where to be avoided if the spare tire mount was not totally reinforced and designed for the extra weight - I know the Scamp isnt and using it and hitting a bump could result in major fiberglass cracking or worse a big hole in the back of the trailer where the tire use to be. I also noted during my research that a number of auto manufactures that do have their spare tires mounted at the rear also dont put in enough re-enforcement to safely use this type of mount either. Processed with caution...
Carol H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Posts: 159
Registry
Bike carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
(...)Martin, I realize you're talking about your tug... but, I didn't want newbies to think it might be a good idea for the back of their trailers. YMMV
Very good point Donna,
This is the way I found on my towing vehicle to remain safe and not to risk overloading the hitch with a dual attachment of some sort.

Even on my case, the spare tire rack is limited to 75 lbs total capacity, so the third bike, if any, must be very light.

I checked the frame of my 16' Trillium very carefully: it is fine for now, but it is definitely made of VERY THIN metal. Even if the spare tire tire rack is properly soldered to the Trillium bumper, I would definitely not risk to install a spare tire rack on the RV.
__________________
Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Posts: 159
Registry
Hitch box

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
Hey I wonder if I can put this on my car and still use my hitch box on my car. hmmmm anyone know how much space there really is between the hitch and the tank? pictures of someone using this mount? here's the box i'm talking about. I think the box may just be TOO BIG.
I agree with your conclusion for several reasons:
1- The box is quite likely to interfere with steering motion
2- The hitch tongue weight capacity would be exceeded with more than just the loaded hitch box alone.
3- The extension lenght under the box is so long that it would be unsafe to attach a trailer on it by any means. This is why cargo extensions instruction manual says it is designed for a maximum load of 500 lbs, for instance.
__________________
Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
avfn's Avatar
 
Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Posts: 109
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamimartin View Post
I agree with your conclusion for several reasons:
1- The box is quite likely to interfere with steering motion
2- The hitch tongue weight capacity would be exceeded with more than just the loaded hitch box alone.
3- The extension lenght under the box is so long that it would be unsafe to attach a trailer on it by any means. This is why cargo extensions instruction manual says it is designed for a maximum load of 500 lbs, for instance.

yeah that's what I figured guess I'm gonna have to get rid of the hitch box when I tow the boler. I LOVE THAT BOX it has SO MUCH STORAGE!!!.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
yeah that's what I figured guess I'm gonna have to get rid of the hitch box when I tow the boler. I LOVE THAT BOX it has SO MUCH STORAGE!!!.
What brand of hitch box is that?
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
avfn's Avatar
 
Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Posts: 109
Registry
it's a THULE but they no longer make it. they make a different one now. this one swings out (it's broken so it's now held shut with ratchet straps) but the new ones just tilt down. this is the current model Amazon.com: Thule Transporter Combination Hitch Cargo Carrier: Sports & Outdoors
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,891
Ana.... can you strap the box to the roof of the tug? Or maybe get a different box for the tug? I understand the "want" to store stuff in a box, not on the hitch and not in the trailer. So, this is just MY idea...
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
avfn's Avatar
 
Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Posts: 109
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ana.... can you strap the box to the roof of the tug? Or maybe get a different box for the tug? I understand the "want" to store stuff in a box, not on the hitch and not in the trailer. So, this is just MY idea...

Yeah thought of that the issue is that the hitch box allows my dogs to be inside (I have 3 total 2german shepherds and a boxer pit mix) and putting anything IN the car with them is asking for it to be TRAMPLED. I love the box as a travelling trunk for my stuff that is protected from the dogs. the element is too tall. I can't reach the top roof racks and I feel unstable with them. I'll just leave the hitch box at home. i'll survive.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 262
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
Yeah thought of that the issue is that the hitch box allows my dogs to be inside (I have 3 total 2german shepherds and a boxer pit mix) and putting anything IN the car with them is asking for it to be TRAMPLED. I love the box as a travelling trunk for my stuff that is protected from the dogs. the element is too tall. I can't reach the top roof racks and I feel unstable with them. I'll just leave the hitch box at home. i'll survive.
I can't tell from your pic if something is hidden behind the open door - but could you put a box on the tongue? The Thule (thanks for the link, by the way!) or any other box, that could be mounted or have a mount to fasten to? Other folks here have found it useful to have a box up there for. I would love to but have the battery/lp tank there.
__________________

LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow hitch for Bike Carrier? NW Scamp Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 24 05-28-2012 07:32 AM
Bumper hitch for bike carrier adrian Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 06-25-2008 11:05 AM
Looking for a bike carrier Candi Woods General Chat 18 03-20-2007 06:36 PM
Bike Carrier-Scamp 13' Tony Nowak Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 12-03-2005 11:01 AM
Bumper hitch for bike carrier adrian General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×