Bike rack for Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Wink Bike rack for Trillium 1300

Hi all!

Just loving this site...and sure hoping I can get some ideas about how I will transport my beach cruiser bike with my little Trillium trailer.

I had a 1980 Bonair tent trailer before I found my little gem and had a fellow at work make me the sweetest bike rack that I mounted on the from of the frame. It is the kind where you remove the front bike tire. That worked great for the tent trailer, but will not work for my Buttercup.

I think the best would be to get the type that fits over the spare tire. But wondering if there is a better setup I should look at. I know I could just simply put my bike inside while I travel. But hoping for something that could hold 2 bikes.

Thanks all

pics will be coming...I will send what she looks like now, then in the spring when she is all pretty I will update
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I think the best would be to get the type that fits over the spare tire. But wondering if there is a better setup I should look at. I know I could just simply put my bike inside while I travel. But hoping for something that could hold 2 bikes.
Do a google of the site for lots of info regarding the pros and cons of various types of bike hitches.

Using rack that goes over the spare tire or attaches to the rear bumper is not a good idea - actually an idea that can go bad fast. The spare tire &/or bumper of most of the small trailers are not designed to take much if any weight - result is the spare tire or bumper will rip off the trailer leaving the bikes and rakes and trailer parts all over the road.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

British Columbia
Yikes!!!

Good thing I asked. Maybe something like I had for the tent trailer mounted where the propane goes? Or should I find a rack for my Nissan Rogue? Or just put the bloody bike inside?

Thanks again

Deborah
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have heard stories of the bike rack coming down, but not off, dragging the bikes for miles.

It is possible to set up the bike rack on the back of the trailer properly, but you are still adding weight where you least want it. The tongue weight is decreased, the weight on the back acts like a pendulum. If you have any sway, the bikes will make it much worse.

The best plan I have heard is to put the bikes in the trailer, or on the tongue of the trailer. On the tongue usually involves a custom made rack, above the propane tank.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Yikes!!!

Good thing I asked. Maybe something like I had for the tent trailer mounted where the propane goes? Or should I find a rack for my Nissan Rogue? Or just put the bloody bike inside?

Thanks again

Deborah
When I first got my trailer I put the bikes inside but that got old quick if I wanted to make a stop and make some lunch on the road. Purchased roof racks for the tow vehicle and that worked really well.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
This IS a great forum and there are lots of folks more knowledgeable than me. But here is what worked for us on our 1975 Trillium and Nissan Murano. We bought a hitch extender to put on the car which has 2 receivers on it. Our Saris bike rack goes in the upper receiver and Trillium tongue goes in the other one and they're very compatible.
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry
That is a good solution Gail.

I tried something similar, but the tongue of my Trillium is so packed with a spare tire, propane tank and batteries, the bikes had no room. I would have needed a very tall bike rack.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Ah, I see. Our spare tire was on the rear and we had taken the propane tanks off, so we had plenty of space. Didn't think of that.
On our new Escape we put the bike rack on the receiver on the rear of the camper and it seemed to do just fine. The bike rack folks (Saris) and other people on this forum advise against doing that, but the bikes seemed to be fairly stable. So far, so good!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not so fast… Use of a hitch extender reduces the allowable hitch capacity by 50%, as stated in the specs for this Curt model from etrailer:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extender2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	89165

Consider the math… let's say you start with 350 pounds tongue weight capacity on your vehicle. Install the hitch extender and now it's 175. That's already marginal for a 13' egg. Now subtract the weight of rack and bike(s). What's left is barely enough for a motorcycle trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
While I advise against it, we also have a hitch receiver on the back of our Trillium 4500. We have had the tongue weight ridiculously low, but no problems either.

Below is a picture of our poor set-up. I felt the trailer pulling up on the back of the van. I stopped in at a truck stop and weighed just the tongue. It was less then 100 lbs. I loaded up all the water containers we had an put them in the gaucho. Much better after that. Still, I would never put that much on the back of the trailer again.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
We have all done thing we shouldn't have and hopefully learned from it.

Agree with Jon. The hitch extender is a bad idea in so many ways.

To the OP, if you take the front wheel off the bike it would probably fit in the back of your Suv.
Attached Thumbnails
mini VOX 001.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
We ordered our new Scamp with a rear receiver for a bike rack–that was before we read all the great posts here about why it might not be such a good idea to put bikes on the back of a small trailer.

We explored different types of fore, aft, and car top bike carriers. The result was we determined we were money and safety ahead to donate our old bikes to the Salvation Army and buy new folding bikes with bags that we can fit in the back of our Highlander. Your situation may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not so fast… Use of a hitch extender reduces the allowable hitch capacity by 50%, as stated in the specs for this Curt model from trailer:
Attachment 89165

Consider the math… let's say you start with 350 pounds tongue weight capacity on your vehicle. Install the hitch extender and now it's 175. That's already marginal for a 13' egg. Now subtract the weight of rack and bike(s). What's left is barely enough for a motorcycle trailer.
You are correct, of course, but most Class 3 hitches, on a truck, or van, will handle 500 lbs of tongue weight. So this brings down the allowable to 250 lbs. Assuming you have a light bike rack, and just two bikes, this might be close to acceptable.

This is why, in my opinion, a bike rack, on the tongue of the trailer is ideal, if difficult to implement.

BTW: the vehicle hitch mounted bike rack that I have, but have not been able to use, wraps around about 2.5" of the stinger and does not affect the total tongue weight allowed. I had to shop around for a stinger that was long enough though.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
On our new Escape we put the bike rack on the receiver on the rear of the camper and it seemed to do just fine.
With my current tug carrying the bikes on or in the back of it is not possible so had a custom (made for the Scamp) receiver installed to the underside of the trailer that is attached to the trailers frame. Purchased a very light rack a Kuat Bata rack that only weighs 11lbs. Best rack I have even owned, very little movement when traveling & I have owed several that cost way more and weighed way more but they Moved a lot. Movement at the rear of the trailer is not a good thing.

I also stopped traveling with heavy mountain bikes. Now only travel with one or two bikes and they are *light* due to a lot of carbon fibre. Added weight with rakes and 2 bikes at the rear is under 75lbs. I carry a heavy tote with gear in it on the floor of the trailer just ahead of the axle to balance the trailer out when carrying bikes. Have traveled 1000's of miles with it and no problems.

One should take a REAL good look at the state of an old trailers frame before adding a proper hitch receiver to the rear/underside of it. Also if you are someone who has a trailer with a light tongue weigh due to lack of propane tanks and batteries, I would suggest putting anything to the rear of a trailer with a light tongue, no matter how well it is secured is a REALLY BAD idea.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #15

British Columbia
Thanks all....I thought about that. May look into it. Not sure how much those cost, but I think at this point it will be the best solution. My spare tire is on the back, and I don't have battery for lights (just using those LED's with AA's)

Otherwise I will be McGyvering something and worried the whole time.

will keep all informed on final decision!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #16

British Columbia
Yikes again!

I should read all before sending a reply.

My bike is a Beach Cruiser, so even with the tire off, it is difficult to fit in the SUV. I travel to Burning Man, so the bike is needed. The more I think of this, I will probably just fire the bike into the trailer, or try to manage on the roof of the Rogue. Other option is to finally bite the bullet and get a Honda Ridgeline, or a Toyota Tacoma. Been wanting one for years now, so this may be my best solution. Just not a cheap one!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
...most Class 3 hitches, on a truck, or van, will handle 500 lbs of tongue weight. So this brings down the allowable to 250 lbs. Assuming you have a light bike rack, and just two bikes, this might be close to acceptable...
If I had a truck, I'd put a fork mount system in the bed and be done with it, no extender needed. And David, you are in a small minority pulling a small egg with a full-size, full-frame van.

For the most part, folks who come looking for bicycle solutions are pulling small eggs with compact or midsize tow vehicles with limited tongue weight capacity. Unfortunately, a hitch extender is not a viable answer for them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

British Columbia
That is exactly what I will do. I actually have 3 of them that I had made for my tent trailer.

Thanks again all!

Deborah
Old 09-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
. Other option is to finally bite the bullet and get a Honda Ridgeline, or a Toyota Tacoma. Been wanting one for years now, so this may be my best solution. Just not a cheap one!
They will work but a good Toyota Sienna or Honda Oddy mini van does a better job as a Tv and is more versatile.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #20

Registry
If you go to an older thread called Hitch Receiver For Bike Rack you will see a photo on Post 4 of Floyds answer to the issue. He built it himself and it would be a far better idea than using a hitch extension on the receiver.

Tags
trillium