bike rack on back of Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
You can add a receiver hitch to the front of some vehicles, depends on the make and model. From what I saw when I researched this it is mostly for American vehicles. It works great as long as bugs on the bike are not a problem for you. A friend of mine transports his dirt bike on a rack that slides into a front receiver hitch of his suburban and it works great.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #16

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: Former Scamp owner (now Camp-Inn 560) /2008 Jeep Liberty
Minnesota
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have installed receivers on Scamps several times,and Scamp offers them as an option, The frame is made of steel afterall!
If you do put a receiver on your Casita, just be sure and add an extra crossmember to the frame and attach the receiver to both the bumper and the new crossmember., Just attaching to the bumper allows too much flex.
I can't see why fiberglass would have any bearing on the choice.
Personally I think the back of a trailer is too abusive of a spot to carry bikes.... so make sure the receiver is attached securely.
Here's where we carry ours...
We like the look of your tongue carrier. Is it custom or did you buy it?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #17

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I got this one off craigslist, my uhaul had a hitch in the rear and it clears my window AC install and my rear mounted spare tire, I didn't notice any difference or problem when towing with it loaded with 3 bikes or without it

Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
We like the look of your tongue carrier. Is it custom or did you buy it?
Thanks for the kind words...
I guess you'd say it is "custom built"....
I built it from a pair of legs off of an old box fan and some angle iron from a discarded bed frame. The rails on top which hold the bikes are factory built for roof rack application, purchased from JC Whitney.
It would be easy to fabricate the base from thinwall and angle iron,or just angle iron or you could build a tongue box and mount the bikes above it.
Two important keys to max clearance and function...
1] The top half of the Scamp tapers away toward the top, so the rack should be high enough so that the inside bike's handlebars will clear the curvature.
2] The racks should be attached facing opposite directions, to allow handlebar over seat clearance at each end for more compact mounting.
These two things allow space for full TV articulation.
This rack is rock stable, and easy to use and easy to secure.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
etrailer has something similar, but still has a decent tongue/towing capacity....

Valley Trailer Hitch Ball mount with 2" Receiver for Bike Racks or Cargo Carriers Valley Ball Mounts V75090
Has anyone used that? I already have a hitch rack for my bike, so if that worked well, it would be an awesome option for me. The alternative for us would be to store the bikes inside the camper while we're towing (I don't want to add a receiver to the bumper of the camper).
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Dan, a friend of mine has one of those - thats how I knew about it. There are a few things to know about it though.. He had to get a different bike rack than the one he already had because the original stuck out far enough that he was worried it would hit the jack on the tongue of his trailer. He also had to get a couple of those hitch pins that stop rattles because the thing was driving him nuts going down the road. Once he did those two things he was in love with it because as soon as they got to a campsite the kids got their bike right away and all was right with the world... Also - don't forget that the bike rack and bikes add to the tongue weight.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #21

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
What is this thing you talk about "a hitch pin that stops rattles"? Can you provide a link to this? I've never heard of them before, thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
What is this thing you talk about "a hitch pin that stops rattles"? Can you provide a link to this? I've never heard of them before, thanks.
Here is one example of many similar devices which tighten the ballbar prevent rattles...

Versahaul VH-070HD hitch stabilizer, tightener

there's another on this page, as well as the actual anti rattle spring loaded hitch pin....

http://www.hitchcorner.com/pintle_hooks.htm#anti-rattle
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #23

Colorado
Ok, humor a newb. I understand, vaguely, "tongue weight", but don't know enough to be sure. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier with a Class 3 hitch, so not a monster truck but fairly big. My camper is a 1991 13' Scamp. Is tongue weight something I'd need to worry about if I add an ~50 lb bike rack with ~60 lbs of of bikes on it, using that dual hitch thingamabob?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Ok, humor a newb. I understand, vaguely, "tongue weight", but don't know enough to be sure. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier with a Class 3 hitch, so not a monster truck but fairly big. My camper is a 1991 13' Scamp. Is tongue weight something I'd need to worry about if I add an ~50 lb bike rack with ~60 lbs of of bikes on it, using that dual hitch thingamabob?
It is highly unlikely to cause a problem with your set-up.
Here is a detailed response on the subject as it relates to my 13 Scamp and a ClassIII Hitch on my Ranger.

Just picked up lil snoozy
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #25

Colorado
Thanks Floyd, good to know that I don't need to worry about that. I'm going to look into one of those hitches!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Thanks Floyd, good to know that I don't need to worry about that. I'm going to look into one of those hitches!
One point ... the closer the ball is to the rear axle, the better in terms of towing and handling, so you might see some change...
Probably negligible.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another thing is the capacity of your receiver is cut by 50% when you use one of those adapters. I recall that a 500# hitch with one of those double receivers reduced each receiver to 250 lbs, thus your t/w capacity is reduced by 50%. Between vehicle and hitch and receiver and tongue and wheel calculations, it is getting more complicated to have fun!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #28

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another thing is the capacity of your receiver is cut by 50% when you use one of those adapters. I recall that a 500# hitch with one of those double receivers reduced each receiver to 250 lbs, thus your t/w capacity is reduced by 50%. Between vehicle and hitch and receiver and tongue and wheel calculations, it is getting more complicated to have fun!
Are we discussing something like this...

Curt 45810 Multi-Purpose Ball Mount

Do you think that applies ....I don't see it.. of course it's not really an adapter, it's just a ballbar with an attachment.
Of course the total capacity would not be increased, and the weight of bike rack and bikes would need to be counted. IMHO...That top thing is not really a second receiver and should not be treated as such, Quote....Caution: Top receiver tube not intended for towing use (bike racks only).
Attached Images

Tags
casita