bike rack system trillium 1300 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #15
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Gail, the leverage principal. move the ball farther out from the receiver puts more strain on the hitch. Someone on a related thread had a percentage figure for how much it decreases the hitch capacity. But it's your trailer and if it works for you, go for it. Bikes can be the biggest pain in the ### to transport and I've tried several options, including that hitch extender which I no longer use

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #16
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
In post #3 Bob is saying that the tongue weight limit is reduced by using an extended hitch. Also if sway has been a problem, an extended hitch will only make it worse.

I drive a van with a raised roof, so my trailer is completely in the wake of the van. There are no alternating vortices to generate sway:
Kármán vortex street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to poor packing, I have driven at highway speeds with a tongue weight of ~30 lbs. No sway was noticed, but the trailer was pulling up as much as down. It felt really weird. I stopped at a weigh scale to check my tongue weight, then loaded up all the water containers I had and put them in the gaucho. The trailer felt much better after that.

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote