Bird nest under AC cover??? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Bird nest under AC cover???

Has anyone experienced those tiny sparrows, finches, etc. slipping in under the Cover, through the larger (bottom) AC vent holes and building nest?

Those little guys build in some of the darnest places.

Those holes appear to be large enough that one could slip in there and raise a family. Is there any type of wire mesh designed specifically for that purpose, like there are for protecting furnace and Water Heater vents?

Definately don't want to block air flow. Just hoping someone has any ideas.

Thanks
Kip

Thanks,
Kip
__________________

__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I'd wait until the babies are gone and then remove the cover and put screening to prevent it from happening again next year. Same screen you should put on your hotwater and furnace vents to keep out mud daubers.
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Posts: 502
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
.

Is there any type of wire mesh designed specifically for that purpose, like there are for protecting furnace and Water Heater vents?


Thanks,
Kip
I used some 1/8" hardware cloth to cover all the openings in my A/C cover and the fridge vents to keep out the varmints. Worked great.

Steve
__________________
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
cpaharley2008,

Are you talking about everyday screen wire, like would be used to cover windows?

Steve,

Is the 1/8" hardware cloth the same material as the 1/4" stuff. If so, is it "galvanized", and a hardware store item?

How are you guys attaching it?

Thanks,
Kip
__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
That's probably the reason lots of people put a vinyl cover on the A/C unit during storage. ADCO Air Conditioner Cover - Product - Camping World. Must be removed during travel! Otherwise, you may leave it along side the road.

If you use screening of any kind, just be careful about restricting the air flow.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Posts: 502
Registry
<_<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
cpaharley2008,

Are you talking about everyday screen wire, like would be used to cover windows?

Steve,

Is the 1/8" hardware cloth the same material as the 1/4" stuff. If so, is it "galvanized", and a hardware store item?

How are you guys attaching it?

Thanks,
Kip


Yes, this is the same stuff, only smaller. Any well equipped hardware store should have it. I think I paid about 6-7 dollars for enough to do both fridge vents, the AC and still had about half of it left. I cut pieces of it to fit and used self-tapping sheet metal screws and washers on the AC. I took the cover off and installed it from the inside. Very neat looking from the outside. For the fridge vents, I hand molded it to fit the inside and attached it with hot glue. Worked like a charm.

Steve
__________________
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
<_<



Yes, this is the same stuff, only smaller. Any well equipped hardware store should have it. I think I paid about 6-7 dollars for enough to do both fridge vents, the AC and still had about half of it left. I cut pieces of it to fit and used self-tapping sheet metal screws and washers on the AC. I took the cover off and installed it from the inside. Very neat looking from the outside. For the fridge vents, I hand molded it to fit the inside and attached it with hot glue. Worked like a charm.

Steve
Thanks Steve!
__________________

__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bird Watching Dianne Dohei Hobbies & Passions 46 08-24-2012 12:37 AM
Show me the bird james kent Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes 7 12-31-2006 12:13 AM
An Egg comes home to nest... Matthew Lyon General Chat 12 12-11-2006 08:20 PM
Watch Live Eagle on Nest Patrick M. General Chat 13 04-13-2006 05:10 PM
New nest for Origami Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 17 10-15-2002 10:01 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.