Black out curtains for trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

One of our day/night shades was damaged in transit. So I cut up an old window shade and attached it to the window frame with these:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8088...pplies-_-808865

I don't know why you couldn't buy a room darkening shade, take the shade material off the roll, cut it up to fit your windows, and attach it however you like.

If you want to save money, you could even use black trash bags to cut up.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #16

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
These panels still work in our trailer but I only use them on two small windows and they fit in a small cabinet when not in use. Making them bigger would present a storage problem.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...7&hl=window

Old 05-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
Another quick and easy solution we use in our 5er's loft is Reflectix bubble-wrap insulation that's been cut to the shape of the window. ...
You can buy Reflectix at Lowes; it's in the heating/cooling section.
We also use the Reflectix on the window over our head. It keeps the sun from blasting in, in the morning.

To keep ours in place we use Those little Command Strips from 3M that are removable.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...ounting_strips/

They work very well.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Ta-da!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06888.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	27782

The Reflextix works fine. It's too rigid to slide into the upper track without mutilating it, so went to get some 3M clips as per Mike S's suggestion, but only found little clear hooks in local hardware, which would have held it in place fine but stick out past frame width a bit, looking tacky, so slid it over the frame on top and into the track on bottom, and it stayed!

Fortunately I can cover the attractive foil covering with the attractive blinds (sorry for sarcasm, I am a curtain person but appreciate versatility of the blinds that Escape installs).

Name:	DSC06889.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27783

Now I have all these little 3M clear hooks.........
Might need them if decide to make cover to over vent opening, but though it lets light in, we always have it opened a bit.

Very appreciative of this idea, thanks Peter and others.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #19

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Good job!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Good idea Mike and Penney. Where do you store them when not in use?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #21

Name: Hilda and Michael
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
Did you find a solution that you like? We just bought a 16' Scamp and we are looking for a way to cover the windows and make it dark. Thanks, Hilda and Michael
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #22

Washington
spring sash rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hello Penny:
I am in the midst of redoing my Burro, and thought of the same issue from past trailer experiences with the early dawn.
1st, I replaced the vent cover with a smoked one, as I found that allowed a great deal of light in.
As my Burro previously had plain hanging curtains from a single top rod, I have replaced them with newly made darker curtains, and other than having to drill 4 tiny holes around each window (not sure if that is the route you want to take but it looks great and very custom).
I found a product called Spring Sash Rod, by Levelor, that is a white (blends in well with the fiber interior).
You simply cut the wire rod to the exact size, and I have mounted them top and bottom, and when making the curtains, I have allowed an extra 1 1/2" - 2" inches of extra material all around the curtains, which works as sort of a valance all around the windows, and as these rods only attach with little eye screws, they mount very flat to the body, thereby not allowing much, if any light in when closed.
They are also less bulky looking than the blinds, with a nice finish.

I will have a few pictures in a day or so, just doing the carpet and have taken them down for the moment.
Just my 2 cents worth.
All the best, Jake.
What exactly is this? Will it work in a Scamp? Do you have more info that would help me find black out solutions to our windows? Hilda
Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #23

Washington
Thank you all for the suggestions for our windows. Will go shopping and look for some of these ideas.
Where do you find the Spring Sash Rods? I could not find them online. Will go to Camping World for more ideas. I don't want curtains as they will make it too dark in the daytime when I want lots of light in the Scamp. I guess I am just a poor sleeper!!!!! I need it really dark or my eyes pop open when the sun comes up!!! thanks, Hilda
Old 06-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhilda1 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions for our windows. Will go shopping and look for some of these ideas.
Where do you find the Spring Sash Rods? I could not find them online. Will go to Camping World for more ideas. I don't want curtains as they will make it too dark in the daytime when I want lots of light in the Scamp. I guess I am just a poor sleeper!!!!! I need it really dark or my eyes pop open when the sun comes up!!! thanks, Hilda

Hilda I'm also a poor sleeper and need it to be dark. Since I made the foil/insulated covers for our windows pictured above, I took down the blinds completely and made nice thick curtains, but they didn't block the light enough, though they look nicer than the blinds and make it cozier. The curtains roll up and tie at the rod, completely off the windows and letting in all the light (important in the NW!). I still use the insulated covers, which really block the light, only now they hold on with velcro (before the blinds held them in place.)

Good luck finding the right solution for you

Penney

PS Will take some pictures tomorrow of curtains and post.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #25

Washington
Thank you a ton! Do you have any pictures of the curtains? How did you roll them up? Did you use ribbons or ties? Hilda
Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #26

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Penney:

My wife made a curtain for our door window using heavy cloth and stick-on velcro. (One piece is sewn to the cloth, the other sticks on the door. The curtain is attached by pressing the curtain against the door.)

She suggests the same idea could work on the other windows. The pleated curtains on our trailer (and perhaps on yours) have a metal strip at the top. The stick-on part of the velcro could go here, and the other part sewn on the curtain.

Brian
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #27

Registry
Here are some pictures Hilda. (to see details better, click and view larger.) Only the back windows have the curtains, we kept (for now) the blinds on other windows. Because of extra mattress padding on top of trailer cushions, the bed sits high, it is really nice to not be hitting the blinds all the time, to be able to cuddle up with a good book and read, leaning into the corner between the windows & not hitting clunky blinds. Just more cozy.

We removed the brackets for the blinds, which were attached under the cupboards, and put up 90 degree angle wood pieces which we then fitted a 'rod' piece into and held in place with cooper strips, which we liked the look of. The rods are pulled one way or the other to release and fall down to place & remove curtains for washing, etc.

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	36726

the strips hanging down are the tie ups

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	36725

Since I still place the foil/bubble wrap pieces behind the curtain for extra darkening, these velcro pieces hold it in place (but I need to get some better looking black)

Name:	IMG_6590.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	36729

on the shorter side window we were able to use regular doweling, but doweling didn't come long enough for the back window, & needing something stronger for the expanse, I used quarter round.

Name:	IMG_6588.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	36727

curtain rolled up

Name:	IMG_6585.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	36724

Our "Turtle" curtain, first made when we got the trailer, think he needs replacing though, this guy got a bit of mold on him this past winter and washing made him look like a 100 yr. old tortoise!

Name:	IMG_6591.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	36730

For added darkness, this is our "velcroed on" vent cover, half down lets air in, on Mike's side of the trailer (he isn't light sensitive - sleeps anywhere, any conditions)

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	36728

Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #28

Registry
Brian - Isn't velcro great! Sounds like a good idea, might help others on this thread looking for ideas if you post some pics.

Did your Escape come with a screen door? Ours did not, thinking of a screen curtain with velcro, but don't want too much of the stuff around, not the most attractive decor and does get dirty.

Penney