Black out curtains for trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #21

Name: Hilda and Michael
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
Did you find a solution that you like? We just bought a 16' Scamp and we are looking for a way to cover the windows and make it dark. Thanks, Hilda and Michael
michaelhilda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #22

Washington
spring sash rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Hello Penny:
I am in the midst of redoing my Burro, and thought of the same issue from past trailer experiences with the early dawn.
1st, I replaced the vent cover with a smoked one, as I found that allowed a great deal of light in.
As my Burro previously had plain hanging curtains from a single top rod, I have replaced them with newly made darker curtains, and other than having to drill 4 tiny holes around each window (not sure if that is the route you want to take but it looks great and very custom).
I found a product called Spring Sash Rod, by Levelor, that is a white (blends in well with the fiber interior).
You simply cut the wire rod to the exact size, and I have mounted them top and bottom, and when making the curtains, I have allowed an extra 1 1/2" - 2" inches of extra material all around the curtains, which works as sort of a valance all around the windows, and as these rods only attach with little eye screws, they mount very flat to the body, thereby not allowing much, if any light in when closed.
They are also less bulky looking than the blinds, with a nice finish.

I will have a few pictures in a day or so, just doing the carpet and have taken them down for the moment.
Just my 2 cents worth.
All the best, Jake.
What exactly is this? Will it work in a Scamp? Do you have more info that would help me find black out solutions to our windows? Hilda
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #23

Washington
Thank you all for the suggestions for our windows. Will go shopping and look for some of these ideas.
Where do you find the Spring Sash Rods? I could not find them online. Will go to Camping World for more ideas. I don't want curtains as they will make it too dark in the daytime when I want lots of light in the Scamp. I guess I am just a poor sleeper!!!!! I need it really dark or my eyes pop open when the sun comes up!!! thanks, Hilda
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhilda1 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions for our windows. Will go shopping and look for some of these ideas.
Where do you find the Spring Sash Rods? I could not find them online. Will go to Camping World for more ideas. I don't want curtains as they will make it too dark in the daytime when I want lots of light in the Scamp. I guess I am just a poor sleeper!!!!! I need it really dark or my eyes pop open when the sun comes up!!! thanks, Hilda

Hilda I'm also a poor sleeper and need it to be dark. Since I made the foil/insulated covers for our windows pictured above, I took down the blinds completely and made nice thick curtains, but they didn't block the light enough, though they look nicer than the blinds and make it cozier. The curtains roll up and tie at the rod, completely off the windows and letting in all the light (important in the NW!). I still use the insulated covers, which really block the light, only now they hold on with velcro (before the blinds held them in place.)

Good luck finding the right solution for you

Penney

PS Will take some pictures tomorrow of curtains and post.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #25

Washington
Thank you a ton! Do you have any pictures of the curtains? How did you roll them up? Did you use ribbons or ties? Hilda
Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Penney:

My wife made a curtain for our door window using heavy cloth and stick-on velcro. (One piece is sewn to the cloth, the other sticks on the door. The curtain is attached by pressing the curtain against the door.)

She suggests the same idea could work on the other windows. The pleated curtains on our trailer (and perhaps on yours) have a metal strip at the top. The stick-on part of the velcro could go here, and the other part sewn on the curtain.

Brian
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #27

Registry
Here are some pictures Hilda. (to see details better, click and view larger.) Only the back windows have the curtains, we kept (for now) the blinds on other windows. Because of extra mattress padding on top of trailer cushions, the bed sits high, it is really nice to not be hitting the blinds all the time, to be able to cuddle up with a good book and read, leaning into the corner between the windows & not hitting clunky blinds. Just more cozy.

We removed the brackets for the blinds, which were attached under the cupboards, and put up 90 degree angle wood pieces which we then fitted a 'rod' piece into and held in place with cooper strips, which we liked the look of. The rods are pulled one way or the other to release and fall down to place & remove curtains for washing, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	36726

the strips hanging down are the tie ups

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	36725

Since I still place the foil/bubble wrap pieces behind the curtain for extra darkening, these velcro pieces hold it in place (but I need to get some better looking black)

Name:	IMG_6590.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	36729

on the shorter side window we were able to use regular doweling, but doweling didn't come long enough for the back window, & needing something stronger for the expanse, I used quarter round.

Name:	IMG_6588.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	36727

curtain rolled up

Name:	IMG_6585.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	36724

Our "Turtle" curtain, first made when we got the trailer, think he needs replacing though, this guy got a bit of mold on him this past winter and washing made him look like a 100 yr. old tortoise!

Name:	IMG_6591.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	36730

For added darkness, this is our "velcroed on" vent cover, half down lets air in, on Mike's side of the trailer (he isn't light sensitive - sleeps anywhere, any conditions)

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	36728

Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #28

Registry
Brian - Isn't velcro great! Sounds like a good idea, might help others on this thread looking for ideas if you post some pics.

Did your Escape come with a screen door? Ours did not, thinking of a screen curtain with velcro, but don't want too much of the stuff around, not the most attractive decor and does get dirty.

Penney

Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I redid my curtains over the winter and used a thermal drape lining - it works well at blocking the light and I hope it also stops the fabric from fading to fast. It has a bit of a poly/plastic coating on the window side that stops it from sucking up the condensation which I hope will stop the curtains from molding as well. I checked the window side of the curtains one morning last week-end when we had a far bit of condensation on the inside of the windows and the fabric was dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #30

Washington
Window ideas

Thank you so very much for sending all the excellent pictures of your windows. It helps us a great deal. We are busy using all of your ideas and am thrilled that I will be able to get a decent nights sleep! Many thanks for all your assistance.
In 2 wks. we will camp at Salt Creek Park near Port Angeles. Will let you know how it all works out. We can't wait to use our new Scamp! Hilda and Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
Has anyone ever made black out cloth curtains for their trailer? I'd love to hear different ideas for covering windows.

The Escape has blinds that prevent hanging curtains, unless I take the blinds down. The blinds DO NOT make it very dark in the trailer even though they do give privacy. The wall covering is not something I want to go sticking things on. I tried magnets to hold up the fabric on the metal frame of the blinds (window frame is plastic) but that didn't work. I'm thinking of velcro but dubious, though it may be my only option besides just hanging it and trying to tuck it in. I am a poor sleeper and really need to make it darker in the trailer as it is light by 4:30, and it soon it will be even earlier.

Thought I'd see what other folks have done to resolve this......

Thanks
Penney
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhilda1 View Post
In 2 wks. we will camp at Salt Creek Park near Port Angeles. Will let you know how it all works out. We can't wait to use our new Scamp! Hilda and Michael
Hilda & Michael - you are practically neighbors! Salt Creek is a wonderful campground. We went there on our "maiden" voyage in our Escape. You can see pictures of it on my travel web site (see below in my signature).

Have a wonderful time and I hope the curtains work out for you.

Penney

Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Light-blocking curtains

Our old curtains were shot, so I needed to make some replacements and wanted light-blocking properties for camping in our Alaskan summers. I found some fabric to coordinate with the new seat cushion covers, and used it with some light-blocking stuff from Jo-Ann Fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1238.jpg   DSCN1239.jpg  

DSCN1236.jpg  
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
black out curtains

I bought 2 blackout curtains from Target-cut out window sizes, two pieces for each window. Then I sewed them together. I then sewed strips of sew on velcro along the edges of the curtain. I made them narrower than the stick on pieces. I bought sticky back industrial velcro and cut strips that fit around the window. Wait a day or two before attacing curtains-it gives the stick on velcro a chance to attach better. We have blinds on the windows so I had to make the curtains large enough to fit around the blinds and windows. When we wake up I just pull the curtains off. I also did the same thing for our ceiling vent.
Works for us-hope this help you-the Clarks.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #34

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I just saw the cutest red lantern looking clock on the inside of a fiberglass trailer and now can't find it. Want to know where to buy!!!!!!!!!!! Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote