Black spots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Black spots

2016 scamp; I'm doing my wash and wax. After washing all the white sealant. I have small black spots that do not wash off..
What will remove these spots

Thanks for the help
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hard to say if it's the same from here but I get small black specks, about the size of a pin head which I've always attributed to flies. They are small humps, I scrap the hump part off with my finger nail then scrub what is left with a wet used dryer sheet. Works for bugs and small specks of tar and such.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Hard to say if it's the same from here but I get small black specks, about the size of a pin head which I've always attributed to flies. They are small humps, I scrap the hump part off with my finger nail then scrub what is left with a wet used dryer sheet. Works for bugs and small specks of tar and such.
thanks for the reply..

from what I can tell now, the spots are mildew.
I'm using bleach, getting most off but, has to be in the sun,or it does nothing.

thanks again
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I tried _everything_ to get black spots removed from my trailer. Wheat I finally found was fast orange hand cleaner with pumice took care of the spots. All I need to do now is wash and wax the trailer, but that's another story.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Don't know about down in Fl. but here in the north east those small black specks are Gypsie Moth Caterpiler(sp) scat.
Mom had a seasonal site in southern NH and parked car under hardwood trees and the thing would be covered.
Think she used lemon juice to take them off.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We get the Gypsy moth scat too, especially if you pick the wrong time to go out camping down towards the beach. Everything gets covered with the little pellets, and then it rains. Looks much worse then the little fly specs.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

yea, she would sweep of the big pellets but I guess where they first landed when still soft, they would leave a little spot about the size of a pin head.
These she had to work at to get them off.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
From the original post it appears to me the black spots are only on the white sealer that is similar to silicone, which it may or may not be. We have the same issue with the sealer around the door of our Casita. Haven't figured out yet how to remove those spots.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #9

Glad you got us back into the issue about the spots just on the sealent.
I found that before I started useing Dicor sealent and just used silicone that I had spots too.
I think it is mold actually under the layers of sealent so washing on outside skin of the silcone.
I took as much of the sealent off with a razor blade and reapplied with Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating, applied, from can, with fingers and posicle stick.
2 years and no staining under applications as of yet.
Keeping fingers crossed in Maine.