Black water valve to low - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
Black water valve to low

We have a 95 Casita 16, The valve for the black water is straight down and low so that if I add an elbow the trailer has to be raised about 2 inches. The problem then is to drain in the dump stations. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it. Can the plumbing be changed?
<_< Thanks for any reply.
old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You need gravity to dump the black and grey tanks so any modifications need to still be headed down hill. can you put an elbow fitting to the side ?? If your axle is worn out, your trailer may be too low. A new axle and raising the trailer might be the solution.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Is the valve stem pointing straight down or is the discharge pipe pointing straight down. Loosen the 1/4" bolts on the valve body and rotate the discharge pipe upward to the correct position and tighten the bolts . If you take all 4 of the valve bolts out you can rotate the valve 90 degrees and then reinstall the bolts.
I took the whole valve assembly off my Casita last week for cleaning and lubricating . It's a simply and straight forward task.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy View Post
We have a 95 Casita 16, The valve for the black water is straight down and low so that if I add an elbow the trailer has to be raised about 2 inches. The problem then is to drain in the dump stations. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it. Can the plumbing be changed?
<_< Thanks for any reply.
I have a Bigfoot 15B17G with original pitch axle, which too low position myself when emptying the station, and to correct the problem of height when emptying I bought the "SewerSolution" with a 90 ° elbow transparent exit 3 in.
The system works both vertically and horizontally.
The kit comes with 10 'of hose which it may be preferable to add 10 additional ...
A friend suggested me this system as being much cleaner to work, which is really the case.
You will not have the level of problems with this system, because it is the pressure of water from the aqueduct that grows and crushes all in a 3/4 "hose transparent, which is easily cleaned with pressure of water and which leaves no odor.

Amazon.com: Valterra SS01 Boxed SewerSolution System: Automotive
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

Tennessee
Registry
Thanks guys for your reply. The black water pipe is straight down to the valve which points down as a result and I have a 90 elbow to put on but often can't because of the clearance problem. I think it needs re plumbed but not sure if the fittings will produce the same results. I am thinking of cutting the black water pipe that comes out of the trailer and putting an elbow then a valve and connect to the gray water, but there is little room between the two. Has anyone done this mod ?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Washington
Can you post a photo of the dump valve and fittings ? Maybe there is a simple solution. We love photos on this forum and especially photos of sewage systems.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #7

Tennessee
Registry
Is there a place that tells how to insert a photo. I can't seem to do it, or find info on how to.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Tennessee
Registry
Here is a view if I did it right.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1429.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I had a 1994 16' with the same problem. I solved it by replacing the axle with a 22dg axle from Dexter which increased ground clearance by several inches. This was in 2010 and I figured the 16 year old axle was probably due a replacement anyway. At the same time gave me the clearance needed to upgrade the whole black/grey dump plumbing to the modern, combined system. In addition the added ground clearance better enabled boondocking.

Walt
Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I wish the picture included a little more above the fitting to see what or where the dump valve is coming out of. It almost looks like it's coming right out of the fiberglass bottom.

On the older Casitas did they have a separate dump valve for black water vs. grey water? Seems like it since you show two valves. I knew some/all Scamps did but I didn't know about early Casitas.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #11

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I wish the picture included a little more above the fitting to see what or where the dump valve is coming out of. It almost looks like it's coming right out of the fiberglass bottom.

On the older Casitas did they have a separate dump valve for black water vs. grey water? Seems like it since you show two valves. I knew some/all Scamps did but I didn't know about early Casitas.
The black dump line came straight down from the black tank through the fiberglass shell, pointed at the ground. If you were on some angles it was virtually impossible to connect unless you jacked up that side of the trailer or had the high lift axle.

And yes, they were separate outlets. I don't know when they went to a single outlet. I upgraded both my '94 and '95 Casitas to the modern, single port system.

Walt
Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
The black dump line came straight down from the black tank through the fiberglass shell, pointed at the ground. If you were on some angles it was virtually impossible to connect unless you jacked up that side of the trailer or had the high lift axle.
That's bogus! (as Click and Clack, the Tappet Bros. used to say). I wonder what they (Casita) were thinking back then. Some careful planning for a plumbing mod seems in order.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #13

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
That's bogus! (as Click and Clack, the Tappet Bros. used to say). I wonder what they (Casita) were thinking back then. Some careful planning for a plumbing mod seems in order.
I'm not sure what you mean there. The mod is fairly straightforward but there's not enough vertical clearance for it without first raising the trailer, as in a new axle.
No planning really necessary since it's a mod that's been done before. As I said, I've done it after Larry Gamble explained it to me.
The major vertical problem is that the outlet is inside the frame rail and you need to bring the plumbing down enough to bring it outside the rail. Can't be done with the straight axle. Later (before 2000 I think) they moved the outlet outside the frame rail and it became a lot easier to replumb.

Walt
Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Washington
From looking at the photo, if you raise the outlet, your tank would not drain at all or only partially drain and sewage would collect in the low spots. Would it be possible to extend the drain pipe to the outer edge of your trailer? That might give you easier access.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post

t
I am not sure of the location of the black tank on the Casita is or how hard it may or may not be to reach but on my Scamp the black tank discharge pipe and valve come straight down. I have never not been able to connect the slinky to it for discharge - I do need to a kneel on something when making the connection though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #16

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I have a '93 16SD and fitting a high lift axle was the only solution to getting enough clearance to put an elbow on the gray water tank. But that solved so many other problems I will never regret the expense.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #17

Tennessee
Registry
Walt ;
could you put a picture of the mod you did, I know you said you had to raise the body but I would like to see what it takes plumbing wise.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #18

SW Virginia
Sorry but I no longer have that trailer.

Walt