Blue skin to replace ensolite then rat fur carpet over it. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1979 Boler 13
British Columbia
Blue skin to replace ensolite then rat fur carpet over it.

I've removed the ensolite from my 1979 13 foot boler. Has anyone used a product called blue skin (they sell it at Home Depot, used for waterproofing foundations) to apply to the fibreglass directly and then use some spray adhesive to put on some thin rat fur type carpet or marine type carpet over the blue skin? The blue shin comes in a variety of widths and lengths and is a peal and stick type product. I'm sure it has a little bit of insulating value as well. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #2

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I used Blue Skin several years ago to waterproof my foundation. I would not recommend using it for this purpose. The application process itself would be my deciding factor followed by my disagreement of any insulating value.
The process of application requires a butyl based adhesive which is gooey and messy. Yes, there is an adhesive on the blue skin but my understanding is it is a two part process (at least it was when I used it).
I distinctly remember my gloves, work-shirt, pants and hat being covered in the stuff before I was done and I work neat!
Best of luck either way.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
interested & following
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I did a search at Home Depot. Couldn't find it. Might it go by a different name?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Self Adhesive Waterproofing Membrane - Henry Company

You can also search their other waterproofing products from this link to see if other products "may" be a better fit.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm confused. It's for waterproofing. The fiberglass shell is already waterproof (windows and other openings excepted, of course). What is needed under the headliner/carpet/rat fur is not waterproofing but insulation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm confused. It's for waterproofing.
Exactly!!!

I'm not sure what prompted the OP to want to use this product for the purpose they described.

It does work good for its intended purpose which is waterproofing!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our Lowes sells the "Reflectix" like what Scamp uses. I dont have any problem with it and it seems it would be easier to install.

What is MISSING in the ingredients for installing this type of insulation and/or rat fur (Marine Upholstery) is the CONTACT cement Scamp uses. They say it's a special industrial grade "Industrial use only" type of cement. I've heard they add the red coloring to help show what has or what has not been coated in the Scamp shells.

Here's the Reflectix- https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-1...5-ft-L/3011906

I've had to do some mods that required pulling loose some of the rat fur. I went back with 3M 90 contact cement and have not had one issue with it. I think it's about the strongest the average consumer can get off the shelf.

Never heard of the "Op"s sheeting. Just found this. I'm thinking, what if they have a leak. Where the water could run to because this is water proof is scary in itself!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-WP2...0937/202091036
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Headliner adhesive from an automotive supply store is another option I've heard mentioned.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler
Texas
I replaced the ensolite in my boler with the reflectix from lowes using 3M90 and taped the seams with aluminum tape. I then covered it with thin carpet that is used for speaker boxes, available from Amazon, also using the 3M90. Perhaps the blue skin can be attached with the 3M90 adhesive spray. I like that you are thinking outside the box. Good luck on your project.
rynho29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Stay away from Blue Skin. I worked in construction and we used it to seal the edge of roofs to protect from ice damming and thinner strips to seal around window flanges under siding. It is messy stuff that can get away from you while you are trying to get it to lay flat. Because your egg has a curve you would either end up with creases or would have to cut some ease in just to fit it defeating any sealant value which you shouldn't need anyway if you're sealed around your rivets/bellyband/openings. As previously mentioned it is bitumen based so as your roof heats up under a nice summer sun it will soften and all come away from the ceiling giving you a sticky mess. On horizontal surfaces it needs to be sticky side down!! Verticals are best in places that don't heat up or in the case of windows where the trim holds it in place. As others have mentioned reflectix "foil over bubble" insulation has a better insulative value (R5 I believe) and is cleaner/easier to work with. I know quite a few on the forum have used it with success. good luck.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:55 AM   #12

British Columbia
Thanks for all the input. I bought a roll of reflectix and I'm going to apply it with 3M77 spray adhesive and then use the same adhesive for thin grey indoor/outdoor olifin carpet.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:32 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mixed reviews on 3m 77. Perhaps it's preparation or maybe folks didn't follow the directions but some that used it were not happy with the results.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Agree. I think one of the issues may be high temperature resistance. I would suggest a Google site search on "3M77" and/or "headliner adhesive." Lots of old discussions. This is something you definitely want to get right the first time.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #15

Just know you've been warned about 3M 77. 3M 90 is MUCH stronger and has been proven. Just remember, if your covering starts falling, 3M 77 is not "junk". There's just a stronger version intended more for your application. Some may have used 77 with ok results, but I live in the hot/humid south. And if your camper is going to be sitting out in the sun alot...well, Good luck. I just personally hate to see you go to all that trouble and start having issues. It's better to put the best/strongest FIRST - especially in a case like this where it involves a MAJOR job! Just trying to help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by red apple View Post
Thanks for all the input. I bought a roll of reflectix and I'm going to apply it with 3M77 spray adhesive and then use the same adhesive for thin grey indoor/outdoor olifin carpet.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #16

British Columbia
Ok, new plan, return the 3M 77 and get the 3M 90. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #17

Good luck pal! Keep us posted good or bad. We learn as well from you guys that do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red apple View Post
Ok, new plan, return the 3M 77 and get the 3M 90. Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #18

Tennessee
I suggest you look into a "contact cement" glue product.

Most every trim shop you walk into has a spray gun attached to a 5 gallon bucket of some brand of industrial contact cement for their interior installation needs.