Body Bulging? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Body Bulging?

I'm installing new cork laminate flooring in my '91 16' Scamp and when I pulled out the screen door fame I noticed this.

The body is pulling away from the front bench frame. I had noticed that my luan board that makes up the front part of the door frame had ripped away from the ledger that it screws in to but I didn't think it was this bad.

The above piece screws in to the glassed in tab/ledger in the picture below.

I'm guessing I need to cut a new piece of luan to match the new radius. I had thought about trying to use a winch to bring the two sides together a bit and then using some stronger plywood in the door frame to try and maintain the curve but I just don't see that being strong enough to hold that much stress. I'm guessing this is pretty common in these older trailers and nothing to fret about?

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Bulging body

Whew! I thought I was the only one with that problem. I think it is just old age. Probably should adjust for it.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Bryan L
When I made the screen door, I used 3/4 pine for the door frame and the door casing. I drilled and screwed through the fiberglass frame into the casing and covered them with the rubber seal. There was no reinforcing metal piece behind the hinge side and this removed the bulge and stiffened the side up considerably. On the latch side I fastened the framework from inside the closet and also through the frame edge as on the other side. Haven't had a problem since I installed it about 6 years ago. I dont think this would have worked using plywood as screws into the edge don't hold very well. If you are going to make a new piece then I would suggest that you use some kind of solid wood.
Attached Thumbnails
583 (640x480).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
They say pets begin to resemble their masters after awhile... and I think the same thing applies to my Fiber Stream and me. We both have bulges around the middle and we both have gained a lot of weight over the years.

The wood pieces that were 'glassed into the hull to support the bunks and kitchen counter along the outside walls have dry-rotted to the point that the screws into them from the inside have all pulled out. I may have to add more through-hull attachment screws in these areas to compensate.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Body bulging? Oh, you mean the TRAILER!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Wow, I thought that was just a Boler thing.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Haha, guess I need to be more careful with my topic titles!

Well, it seems like the best option might just be to live with this as it is and cut a new piece of wood for the door frame to match the current radius. James, I like your idea but it seems like it might be more work than I feel like doing right now! I don't even know how I'd get that side to "go back" to its former shape anyway. At least I know I'm not alone!

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
I have the same problem but I can push it back in place fairly easily from the outside. I think I will try a small turnbuckle and cable fastened to the ledger in a couple places with a metal bracket and the other end to the floor. It will be hidden underneath the bench but it won't be depending on the bench for support.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
For some interresting reading, check out a thread by Roy in TO from 08-05-2008. It's titled "Improving door fit due to body sag". He discusses some of your problems.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
For some interresting reading, check out a thread by Roy in TO from 08-05-2008. It's titled "Improving door fit due to body sag". He discusses some of your problems.
Thank you. Maybe it's time to get out the floor jack and lift the roof a bit and see what happens. Here is the link for those interested.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sag-34620.html

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bryan, have you judiciously checked the frame for breaks or cracks? Typically when the body bulges one of three things is going on... either unsupported weight on the roof (A/C on a trailer not built for the weight), cracks in the frame (the body starts to spread) or the supports between the lower cabinetry and the upper cabinetry has been removed (because of asthetics). Are any of these three things occuring in your trailer?

Think of your trailer like a balloon. If the top of the balloon is pushed down, the sides bulge.... let us know how it goes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote