Body off? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Body off?

Hubby and I really love our modified Scamp 16 (by taking out some cabinets he made a really comfy king size bed), but the frame is shot. We ordered a new frame from Scamp. The challenge-- taking the body off... Has anyone taken the body off and reattached on a new frame??? Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Robin Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #2

New York
Frame up restoration. Our new frame for out 16' Scamp is coming soon! Anyone experienced with removing the old body? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Haas View Post
Hubby and I really love our modified Scamp 16 (by taking out some cabinets he made a really comfy king size bed), but the frame is shot. We ordered a new frame from Scamp. The challenge-- taking the body off... Has anyone taken the body off and reattached on a new frame??? Tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Hi Robin, last month I removed the frame from my 79 triple E Surfside. My experience may help you but I do not know how the Scamp body is attached to the frame.

On my trailer, the plywood floor of the trailer was screwed from above through the plywood then the FG body shell then into the steel frame. I ground the screw heads off (they were corroded) and then jacked the body up off of the frame. I supported the body with four by four blocking and cross beams. I removed the tires and rims then dragged the frame from under the body. See photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170504_125043.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	110534Click image for larger version

Name:	20170503_124258.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	110535
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

New York
Body off?

Thanks for your reply... and the pictures!!! Hubby has been thinking of tackling it the same way. But in Scamp at least some of the cabinets may obscure screws, and taking them out even temporarily might destroy the body. Ugh.
But meantime we just got the frame home!