Boler 1300 catalytic propane heater performance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: Alexandre
Trailer: Boler 1300 1976
Quebec
Registry
Boler 1300 catalytic propane heater performance

Hello,

I'm currently working on my Boler 1300 to prepare it for a camping trip next weekend (Sept. 23) in Quebec, Canada. I decided to test the catalytic propane heater tonight (stock model, 1976), and even though it seems to be working fine (I can hear the flame burning and the metal casing gets hot to the touch), I have the impression it might not be powerful enough for our cold temperature. Tonight, it is 9 degrees Celsius outside, and I don't feel the air inside the trailer much warmer (I've left the heater running approx. 45 minutes before checking). Am I too impatient? Should I leave the heater running longer before expecting results? Or is it just not powerful enough for temperatures below 10 Celsius?

Otherwise, I do have a 120V electric heater that performs very well, but I would like to know if the propane heater will allow me to boondock...

Thanks!

Alexandre
skryabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
I have not installed my furnace yet, but I would think that 45 minutes would not be enough time to heat it up.

I just picked up and original heater and tested it sitting on my work bench, it took about an hour or so to really start to pump out some heat, ...........enough heat that i couldn't hold my hand above the grate, ......

so if it took about an hour to get just hot enough to prevent my hand from being held close to the vents, I would think it would take even longer to warm the entire trailer, ........

just for giggles i would turn it on around dinner time, and then come and check it before you go to bed, and see how it does then!!!!

something I have been thinking about since purchasing this little heater is to add a small 12V computer fan behind the heater (there is a small opening behind the regulator/gas hook up area) that i think would help push hot air a little better out of the vents which may aid in circulating the heat into the trailer, ......but I am not sure how this would affect the air flow of exhaust and fresh air intake?, ..............going to be experimenting shortly as out annual family thanksgiving camping weekend is coming up fast........
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

Quebec
Registry
Ok I will try to heat it for an hour or two before testing... Wonder how much propane such a heater consumes...?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
i have been told you could run it all week and never run out, .....so not much propane used, ...
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Mine warms the trailer up nicely at those temperatures. Maybe your main burner isn't kicking in.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

Quebec
Registry
Aaahhhhh I feel so dumb now... I never ever saw a blue flame like that, not from the pilot and certainly not from the main burner. Perhaps my pilot is not powerful enough to "feed" my main burner... or maybe there's too much rust or something else in the way.. I'll check it tout tomorrow. Thanks so much for the video!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

I just picked up a second heater for friends of mine to install in their Boler. I have a pilot flame but the main burner won't light. If I'm lucky I will just have to install a new thermocouple. If you are getting a pilot light but no main burner flame then you may simply need to replace your thermocouple. There is also the possibility that dirt or corrosion has clogged the orifice for the main burner.
It will look something like this

http://www.nextag.com/Honeywell-24-i...88/prices-html
Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #8

Quebec
Registry
Oh ok that's a good thing. It may fix my problem with my fridge too. It works perfectly on 110v, but when I try to light it with propane, I can see and hear the propane getting lit but then the pilot doesn't stay on. Actually, just once or twice I heard it last for more than a fraction of a second, but it lasted perhaps around 10 seconds. Could that also be a problem with a thermocouple?

Also, would you be so kind to tell me how to "open up" my furnace so I can change the thermocouple (same for fridge)? Do I have to remove the furnace completely? For the fridge I can see there are two screws that hold a protective metal plate, but I can't dislodge it because the bottom is stopped by the Boler's fiberglass casing. And I can't lift it upwards because the lighter button restricts movement, as it passes through a tight-fitted hole. Any trick here?

Thanks !
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

The Gas Furnace Standing Pilot and Thermocouple - How It All Works

Check out this guys' channel for fridge operation and other items.
rved101's Channel - YouTube

You have to hold the plunger in for about a minute when you light the refrigerator or furnace. This allows the thermocouple to heat up and then send the electrical signal that turns on the gas.

Depending on your furnace just remove the front grate. In my video you can see the thermocouple to the left and also below the RED knob. It is the copper "wire" that is usually looped a few times. Just unscrew from each end and take it out. Replace if necessary using the reverse procedure. Ensure that the thermocouple end is correctly placed in the pilot flame so that it heats up sufficiently.

I will have to check my fridge for the location of the thermocouple but my guess is it is probably under that plate.

I just finished fixing a second furnace I have. The problem was not the thermocouple but a plugged orifice on the main burner. Give me a day or two to process the video.

Tags
boler, propane