Boler 1700 brakes? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Name: Shane
Trailer: boler
Boler 1700 brakes?

I am wanting to put brakes on my trailer. The original trailer never had any. I can watch the guy all day on you tube which is a big help. Who has already done this? What size brakes do I need? What about the drums?

Kady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
To add brakes, you need a flange that looks like the picture below. It is mounted on the axle just behind the wheel. If your axle does not have a flange, you might be able to find a competent welding shop to add one. If you cannot find someone to add the flange, you need to replace the entire axle. You could go with 10" brakes.

If your axle has the flange, you simply buy brakes and bolt them on and buy new hubs with integral brake drums from a place like eTrailer or Eastern Marine (in the US) or a local trailer shop.
Attached Thumbnails
brake flange.jpg  

UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Originally Posted by Kady View Post
I am wanting to put brakes on my trailer. The original trailer never had any.
I'm pretty sure every Boler 1700 has brakes originally, so it seems likely that a previous owner removed them, or replaced the axle with one missing the brakes.

What size brakes do I need?
The appropriate size of electric drum brakes for weight of the Boler 1700 is at least the very common 10" diameter (and 2-1/4" wide), which are normal (almost the only size you can get) for the 3500 pound capacity axle which this trailer should have.

What about the drums??
What, specifically, are you asking about the drums? They include the hub, so they replace the existing hubs if you have plain non-brake hubs.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote