Boler 1700 Curtians - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Shane
Trailer: boler
Mississippi
Boler 1700 Curtians

I want to take out orginal curtians and brackets, and mount new curtians. what is the best way to go about this. thanks for the help. could you also post pictures of how you did this as well.
Kady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have a 13' 2011 model Scamp. I have looked at the photos of some Bolers and find that the curtain rods are similar however, the rod supports seem to be attached to a block of wood and then to the fiberglass body.

I, too, wanted to change the curtain rods and the whole curtain hanging system in my new Scamp. The builders assured me that I could change it all out after I brought my trailer home. What they did not tell me is that the curtain rod supports are permanently riveted into the fiberglass frame. They are not screwed in as are home-installed curtains. As a result I decided to work with the rods as they were installed. I have, however, found several work-arounds as follows.

1. I prefer black rods and supports rather than the brass-colored ones. In my research I found no black rods or supports to purchase. I do not think it would be effective to hand or spray paint the brass ones as the paint would chip and wear off ending up being more ugly than the brass! I decided to stick with the brass. I can live with it.

2. The factory-installed rods often "jumped" off the supports when under way. I bought "cafe curtain rods" (at Walmart) to replace the factory-installed ones. Because the new rods are a bit wider and have finials on the ends they stay in place better. I must mention that the new rods were cheaply made and the finial ends come off easily. I don't think this would be a problem for home use but with the rattling of the trailer when under way they sometimes come off. A bit of metal glue should keep them in place.

3. I use the factory-installed rods, which are slim without a finial, for hanging and rolling my custom thermal/blackout shades. (see photo) I place the rod above the rod supports. It is easy to manually roll and unroll the "shades" as I need them. I sewed Velcro to the bottom edge so as to attach the shade to the "rat fur" (carpet type covering on the walls and ceiling).

4. As you can see in the photos I have kept the factory-installed cream-colored curtains and placed custom side panels on the rods. By doing so I can maintain the light coming through the curtains, maintain privacy and customize my decor without using a lot of print fabric which could overwhelm the small interior.

5. I made tie-backs that are attached with Velcro to the "rat fur".

6. When I use my tropical theme I am thinking of taking out the creme curtains and hanging bamboo shades horizontally, like my black out shades.

I'm very happy with the custom curtain modifications I have made and fully expect to come up with more window covering ideas as time goes by. I would love to hear more about your planned window project.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 004.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Mississippi
Curtians

WOW, Thanks for all your help and pictures.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

Mississippi
i am going to work on the trailer tommrow. we are getting ready for a long trip. we are going from alaska to mississippi
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wow, you are not kidding that's a long trip. We would love trip updates on your big adventure.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

Mississippi
Ok, can do
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You could always replace the brass rod with a wooden dowel, and paint it any color you wish. IMHO the way Scamp attaches the brackets to the shell is one big ICK. Four extra holes for every window.. just for curtains. Six windows times four holes = two dozen extra places for possible water intrusion. Dumb.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler