boler 7 pin connector troubles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Hi Everyone

All lights on my Boler weren't working and so I bought a new 7 pin connector for the trailer. Problem is colors don't match up to the boler colors. Has anyone done their trailer connector. This is what I have for trailer wires

Large gauge red
Smaller gauge red
Green
Yellow
White
Brown

Now on the trailer plastic connector it says I'm meant to have a black and also a blue (electric brakes) wire. Also nowhere on the trailer plastic connector is there a spot for the yellow/or the 2 red wires (I got my wiring diagram from Boler RV and its somewhat confusing)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers
Alastair
al gilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Having owned 4 used trailers in as many years, I have quickly discovered that most folks don't understand "Standard" wiring. I have had to redo all of them.

Here is a DIAGRAM of how it SHOULD be.

It's hard to say what you have, not knowing what geniuses have done before you..

You only list 6 wires, and thats OK, as the 7th one is usually an aux of some sort, for back up lights or some other toy.

Are you handy with a voltmeter? If so, you no doubt do not need a tutorial on how to use one or sus out the wiring. If not, I can post the process for you.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #3

Registry
oh, and just a guess, because I have seen this misdone before..

your large gage red line is your battery charge, and the small gage is your brake.

It was this way on my 13 foot Burro AND my 17, home jobs.

Interestingly, Burro provided a very nice standard wiring diagram with the trailer, it was still in the papers when I got it. It was absolutely correct, but the shop the original owner took it to to be wired to his van chopped and hacked and didn't even bother to match wire colors.

Ask Kurt.. we froze our behinds off trying to figure out what and WHY they did... I bought a whole new pigtail and wired as Burro said, all worked Fabulously.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Boler
I think I'm in need of a lesson on using a voltmeter if you can refer me to a link. Also found out, after undoing about 20ft of ductape that the P owner used differnt color wires (ie the blue which I couldn't find became red and the thick red was previously thick black etc).

My other question Gina is the electric brakes has two wires coming out of each pod. In my case both these wires are red in color. Does one of these connect to the blue wire and what about the other red wire

Thanks
Alastair
al gilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #5

Registry
it sounds like someone got in there, yep.

I would go with what the Boler diagram says AFTER you go get some proper colored wires and replace the odd ball ones. There is a 99.999999% chance they got it right.

I am no help with the brakes AT the brakes, I have never gotten into them.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...the electric brakes has two wires coming out of each pod. In my case both these wires are red in color. Does one of these connect to the blue wire and what about the other red wire...
Electric brake magnets have two wires protruding from them; one for power/positive (the blue wire in a standard 7-way connector), one for ground/neutral/return/negative (whatever you want to call it). It doesn't matter which wire you connect to which side, which is why they are the same colour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Here is a DIAGRAM of how it SHOULD be...
That diagram conflicts with the ones posted in the FiberglassRV Document Center (Wiring Diagram - 7-Pin Trailer End, Wiring Diagram - 7-Pin Tug End) and the version posted at MarksRV and linked in the FiberglassRV Helpful-Links (Wiring section), and with the connector and cable I bought for my Boler, and with the Boler wiring diagram in my manual. The pin assignments agree, but several of the colours are different. I think this comes from applying the colours normally used in 4-pin connections to the 7-pin connector, which usually uses a different scheme.

Page 13 of my 1979 Boler Manual (see the Document Center - Trailer Brand Manufacturer - Boler) provides a circuit diagram (from Bargman), and my Boler B1700 has the colour coding as indicated in that diagram.

If the diagram you are using is the Scamp diagram at BolerRV, it agrees with my Boler and its manual, except that the yellow wire is not connected at the tail lights. If your Boler follows the 4-pin colour standard, then Gina's diagram would more likely be applicable. Since Boler 1300s typically did not have brakes, perhaps it was wired with a 4-pin connector and corresponding colour codes... but then why would it have the fifth and sixth wires?

In the end, the electricity can't see the wire insulation colour, so I would concentrate on getting the right function on the standard pin (no conflict there). To check the function of the wires in the Boler, once you find the ground then you can touch a live (+12V) wire the end of each of the trailer's wires, and see which lights go on. That's what I did on my Boler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler