Boler and Tow Vehicle Broadsided at the Hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Most likely with the paint issue they will use a color gun to match the paint color as best they can. They will paint the repair and blend as best as they can. Old is old, new is new, they will never both look the same. It's up to you if you want to pay the difference to paint the rest of the bottom.

The insurance company is responsible to make you whole not better than whole so you're not likely to get the whole bottom painted on their dime.

After you get a firm cost of repair then approach the shop to paint the rest of the bottom to match. Personally I would pay the extra. And then paint it whatever color I wanted at that time. You will always have the memory of the accident but having to look at the bruise every time you walk near your trailer is more than what I would want. The other thing is, if you sell your trailer and disclose the accident, do you want to show them the bruised face or do you want to point out how wonderful the shop repaired it. A year after the extra money is spent you'll get over it and spend happy days exploring with your trailer.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
In addition to the rest of the substantial structural damage, if your frame is tweaked at all, even a little, then I'd be inclined to say that it will probably be totaled. Just my 2 cents. Straightening up the frame, inspecting and fixing any deformities, warped areas, bent areas, cracks and mis-alignments, including the axle and wheels, will probably put it out of the realm of being worth fixing.

"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #17
Name: Birgit
Trailer: Boler 1700 RG by Vanguard towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia

Thanks for your comments,

I agree. I like the idea of getting the whole bottom painted and paying the difference for it, I think we'll probably go that route if we get there.

We're just holding our breath, I guess to see where the insurance company wants to draw the line,...I'll update when it happens.
Boler 1700 RG towing with 2008 Rav4 V6
BolerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
First off all adjusters for RV claims work out of Kamloops, I made a claim and it took eight weeks before an adjuster was able to see it from the start of June till the end of July . I was told at the time that ICBC will argue everything surprisingly nothing was an issue even the shop was amazed.
Mine was the result of a break in 1600.00 in damage.

Rule of thumb for claims is 10--15% leeway for extra damage found when repairing after that its written off. Be prepared for them to argue the damage.

Next point I carry full insurance year round and just renewed for 180.00 dollars I don't see how I could go wrong and that was the reason I was covered for the break in it happened in Feb. two years ago.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote