Boler awning rail modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Boler awning rail modification

This weekend I discovered that my awning rail has popped 4 rivets and separated from the trailer body. This is at the front of the trailer, so I guess the wind pressure from the awning bag may have had something to do with it. I went ahead and did a quickie rivet to lay the rail back down to get it home. I don't think this trailer ever had an awning bag before, so it did not take long for the c-rail to pop off the trailer leaving little holes in the fiberglass.

However, a friend suggested that instead of securing the metal c-rail directly back to the trailer, I would want to add a second metal rail between the body and the c-rail. This second rail would support the weight of the awning bag and be more secure than the simple c-rail attached to the fiberglass. The metal rail could just be angle iron, I think.

Has anyone done such a modification? It seems like a good idea and would not cost much.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Use peel rivets, they expand more
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Use peel rivets, they expand more
Yep, I was going to say you probably used the wrong rivets to begin with. I used peel rivets when I installed my awning rail over two years ago and it is still where it belongs and not pulling away.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sounds like Jamie has a bag awning that would be on the rail while traveling, therefore extra stress on the rail and rivets
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, boler