Boler belly band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
Boler belly band

Hi, My 77 Boler has a flat belly band much like a Trillium with a rubber gasket down the middle that covers the rivet holes. Problem is that the rivets holding the metal strip to the body have mostly broken off. With not much effort, I pulled the entire belly band off around the back of the trailer. The aged rivets just snapped. The sleeve end of the rivet is sticking out, while the head of the rivet is inside, under fiberglass and ensolite.

The question is how do I remove the rivets that are encased in fiberglass? Can I drill through the sleeve end? For some reason, there are twice as many holes as used on the belly band, so I could drill new holes into the body, leaving the old rivets entombed in the fiberglass. If I reattach the band with new holes, do I run a risk of leaks? I can get the band tight against the body or put butyl tape or caulk against the body?

Help! Not really sure what is the best route to go. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jamie
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #2

Registry
For an update to this post: I went ahead and drilled new holes in the fiberglass to attach the belly band instead of trying to push the old rivet through the fiberglass. Worked great, belly band is tight to the body. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you! I'm surprised you didn't hear from someone about the issue. Surely you're not the only one with this problem. At least now, you've provided a workable solution.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Brant
Trailer: Boler - 77
Ohio
Same Boat

I recently purchased a 77 Boler and have the same band as you! I have been having a hard time finding info about the Belly band (the flat one, not the C channel that earlier bolers have). Glad to hear I am not the only one with the same belly band! I have been looking all over for a replacement, mine is yellow tinted aluminum, would love to have a chrome colored one with a match gasket in the middle. Also, did you happen to find a gasket that fits well?
Glad to hear that were able to get this back on and solid!

Cheers,
BG
gipsonbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Registry
Hi there, Yeah it's a funny thing that a few Bolers came off the line with this unique belly band, I've never seen another around the west coast. The design is completely different. Do you also have a big door window? Where are you located?

I believe that Trillium's also have this type of belly band, so if you are looking for a replacement, you might try that factory. I just reinstalled the old one, which is also yellow-tinted aluminum. A little faded but works fine.

The gasket is super easy; any RV supply store will have it. I'd bring in a small sample or photo if you can from the edge. It was sitting on the shelf, not a special order. My old one was faded brown and cracking, replacing with the new black was the first thing I did.

Also, you can still get the plastic inserts/clips for around the windows on the aluminum. I had a small sample and they special ordered it. It simply snaps on to the ridge covering the rivets.

Good to hear from you! I wonder how many others with unique belly bands are out there?

Jamie
Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

Name: Brant
Trailer: Boler - 77
Ohio
Hi Jamie - Thank you for the quick reply! Looks like Trillium is temporarily closed while they are moving. I will give them a call once they are back up. Nice to know that a replacement might be possible. Great news on the gasket too .. I will give my local RV supply store a shot. The window clips were a major question of mine! All of mine are off, so I didn't have anything to compare it to or bring in to an RV store. Would love to know the manufacturer or get a pic if you can.
As for the door window, I never realized it was bigger than most. However, now looking at pics of other bolers, they mostly have the window that is the one over my stovetop. My door window has three (I think, maybe just two) glass slats that can be opened. Lets lots of great light in :-)
I am located in Ohio. My Boler came from the Erlton, Ont. manufacturer. Sanding it down now and getting ready for a paint job, will post a pic once done!

Cheers - Brant
gipsonbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

Registry
Yep, mine too; Earlton, Ontario, serial number 2383 with the original manufacturer sticker on the inside of the closet door. A mystery to me how it made it this far out west! Suppose it has quite a story to tell.

Mine is two-tone yellow and I have no plans to paint it; a good buffing to get rid of the oxidation would do it wonders. You can check out pictures in my profile. I've updated a few things on the inside, like the cushions, but trying to maintain the originality since it was in great shape when I got it 5 years ago. Love to see pictures of yours when it is done. If you PM me your address, I can send you a piece of the window trim. A picture may provide enough details. Enjoy!

Jamie
Old 12-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #8

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
I had to replace the belly band black strip on our Trillium. As Jamie says, finding a place that sells the gasket should be easy. I bought a roll a few years back, but that RV place isn't around anymore. What I have is sold made by JR Products, Clarence Center, NY. (But sold by many RV places) Here's a link to the product I bought. Quire cheap too, think it was under $20.
JR Products :: Catalog
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbails View Post
Yep, mine too; Earlton, Ontario, serial number 2383 with the original manufacturer sticker on the inside of the closet door. A mystery to me how it made it this far out west! Suppose it has quite a story to tell.

Mine is two-tone yellow and I have no plans to paint it; a good buffing to get rid of the oxidation would do it wonders. You can check out pictures in my profile. I've updated a few things on the inside, like the cushions, but trying to maintain the originality since it was in great shape when I got it 5 years ago. Love to see pictures of yours when it is done. If you PM me your address, I can send you a piece of the window trim. A picture may provide enough details. Enjoy!

Jamie
How interesting! Mine too is billed as a 1977, a Voyageur model, from Earlton with a flat bellyband with small ribs. On the driver's side, near the water intake, is a metalic sticker in rough shape but with Serial "2033" and Date "10-76" clearly stamped in. Would that be a start production or finish production date? In an inside pocket was the stub of a warranty registration card with "purchased July 20/78" penciled in.

So, even if our units were at opposite ends of the production line that means they cranked out at least 350 units that year. This seems a bit high, to me. Or, might they have assigned blocks of numbers within 2000 for different model levels? Can you, or anyone, shed more light on this with production dates, model names and or serial production practices?
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

Name: JJ
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I bought a 1977 Voyager model Boler from Earlton with the flat bellyband. Serial number is 2442 so the production run was longer.
The trailer is under a rebuild currently as the axle was done and the exterior had been painted twice with house paint. I was concerned about the frame given a lot of forum comments. I was surprised after lifting the shell and pulling the frame that it was in great shape, although a lot of surface rust. I am just finishing wire brushing the frame and then will acid wash and POR15 coat it to rust proof.
I went to Bolerama on Lake Erie last summer to get restoration ideas and source a few parts. There were two others at the event with the flat belly band and no one seemed to notice. When I brought it up most of the other owners were unaware of this change for a period or figured it was a change by a former owner. The larger window in the door caused a weakening in the door and it cracked on both sides. I will be able to strengthen the door with fiberglass now that the window is out.
Also getting a lot of parts from Vintage Trailer Supply. They are a great source for widow gaskets and various parts.
JJ H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #11

Registry
Yeah, another 77 Boler with the flat belly band! Folks I've talked to also thought it was done by a previous owner.

And the large window is a cool addition, but I am surprised it caused the door crack, which mine has not done yet. It is the only window that I have not replaced the seals and rivets. I figure to leave well enough alone.

However, the door hinges have not held the door weight and the door slants to the right, badly, with a gap on the lower left and rubbing on the upper left corner. I've purchased new hinges from Scamp and planning to take it to a fiberglass repair shop to have the new hinges installed with new holes.

I think my axel is still ok, but definitely keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for checking in! Maybe we'll figure out the serial numbering system.

Jamie
Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Name: Philippe
Trailer: Boler Voyageur 1977
Quebec
I have a 76 (or 77) Boler voyager too!

The large door window is a welcome addition, it lets in more than twice the light of the small window.

Where did you find the serial number for the Boler? I only have it on the registration papers.

Also, is your tongue bent up a bit or is it completely straight? On my side, it's bent up a bit.
The axle is still OK, the Boler does not jump around when going over bumps.
wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a 1977 Boler brochure in the Document Center if y'all are interested. It shows pictures of the Voyager too. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...p?do=cat&id=23
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

Ontario
My serial number was on a large sticker (letter size paper) stuck to the top of the wheel well in the floor to ceiling cupboard by the door.
My frame is in excellent shape and no sign of any rise in the tongue. Given the construction of the frame I don't think the tongue should be bent.
The axles start to sag after a while as the rubber in the torsion axle ages. Mine sagged unevenly so it was obvious. I did do measurements as suggested on the forum to check the sag. It was on both sides but still very towable. With the uneven sag I wanted to replace sooner than later.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #15

Ontario
Thank you I had found previously. A great source for documents

Tags
boler