Boler Belly Band Sealer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Hi all, I adopted my 1973 13' Boler on Saturday and got right down to work. I have a million questions, but I will start with one. I removed the belly band in preparation for painting and discovered alot of white silicone and water in between the two sections. I removed all the silicone to let it dry out but I don't know what to put in there before I replace the band. Any suggestions???? Thanks!
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
NOT silicone!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, was the water getting into the trailer interior? If you didn`t have a water problem then just put the belly band back on......it`s possibly a previous owner had the belly band off and thought that it should have a seal between the halves which it doesn`t because it wasn`t designed to have a caulk type seal and is fiberglassed on the inside.......if you decide to use a caulk there then you have to clean off any silicone residue or else nothing will stick to it....that`s the problem with silicone....silicone can`t be that bad since aquariums were glued together with it and I`ve hade no problems with it myself......most people just goop it on after someone else has messed it up and hope it will work....a better sealant is polyurethane ......if used on a properly prepared surface, it`s something else......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
silicone don,t paint worth a darn either
Lee Trenholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
When we painted the trailer, I removed the belly band and found that the flange measured anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches. I used a small block of wood as a guide and marked the flange at 5/8 inch and groung off the unnecessary excess. I then filled the crack with a tube of auto body spot filler [just squeeze it in] and sanded it smooth. The belly band now looks much better. It really isn't necessary as the two halves are connected by a couple of layers of glass on the inside and the band is just decoration to cover the flange, but it does make one feel good to fill it in.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Boler 13 ft
Hey i'm also restoring a 1977 boler and i have some moisture issues i know my back window is leaking because the wood under the window that the table mount screws to is rotten quite rotten actually. I was thinking on taking off the belly band off to see if it has been leaking at the seam. So it is sealed from the inside? Because i don't plan on doing much to the outside of my trailer this season. I know i have moisture getting in on some of the service and plumbing flaps that i plan to fix. I Just wanted to double check about the belly band and the seam under it. Thanks
Johnathan Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi all, I adopted my 1973 13' Boler on Saturday and got right down to work. I have a million questions, but I will start with one. I removed the belly band in preparation for painting and discovered alot of white silicone and water in between the two sections. I removed all the silicone to let it dry out but I don't know what to put in there before I replace the band. Any suggestions???? Thanks!
Hi: Dave I saw some closed cell foam gasket/insulation at Home Hdwr. Building Center that came in a coil ( bag) I Think 1" in dia. and maybe 10' long. When I saw it I thought of behind the belly band as a place to insert it. It would at least keep water out of that area without slathering it with "SILLY CONE".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
. So it is sealed from the inside? Because i don't plan on doing much to the outside of my trailer this season. I know i have moisture getting in on some of the service and plumbing flaps that i plan to fix. I Just wanted to double check about the belly band and the seam under it. Thanks
They use the flanges during manufacture to clamp the upper and lower body parts together. They then glass in a couple of layers of fiberglass tape over the seam from the inside. All of my cupboards have been glassed in in the same way to make everything structually sound and one solid unit. If you have leakage it's most likely at an opening somewhere. Water seems to be able to travel forever behind that insolite. Double check your window rubber seal for splits and cracks and if you must use a sealer, then acrylic caulking MAY be the way to go.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler