Boler colors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Boler colors

My sister has a 1976 13' Boler. I have been working on it doing some fiberglass damage repair. At the belly band there is a strip above and below the belly band, the colored bands are painted brown, over what appears to be a light color of green, on top of the belly band, and a darker green below the band. these stripes are about 5"s on the bottom and about 4"s on the top. The stripes go completely around the trailer. The stripes appear to be gel coat and there is a no line of difference between the stripe and the body color of the trailer, as might appear if it were sprayed on, with a taped edge. My sister wants to keep the trailer as close to original as possible she wants the brown color to be redone. I say the original color for the stripes is light and dark green.
Does any one know how to research how the
Bolers were painted; and are these stripes original?
I have posted this question on the chat section, but perhaps I can get more opinions here.

Thanks Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kenny did you not have any joy in regards to suggests made to your original question?
Original boler color question

Funny enough I started to think a bit more about your question after and looked at a number of other 13' Boler brochures from the 70's for Canadian built bolers and dont see decals around the band on any of them - also dont recall ever seeing any on the many still original 70's Bolers that attend our local rallies either -most of which were built in Winnipeg or BC so I looked through a lot of rally photos taken over the years to try & find one with decals - no joy. The decals didnt seem to appear on the trailer brochures until the 80's models, even then most where two shades gold/brown as your sister suggests but some blue start to appear, which made me wonder if you know which plant your sisters trailer was made? Is it an American Boler? Where the trailer was built may help to find the correct answer or it could be the perhaps a previous owner added the green decals to your sisters trailer themselves at some point.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
... looked at a number of other 13' Boler brochures from the 70's for Canadian built bolers and dont see decals around the band on any of them...
The decals didnt seem to appear on the trailer brochures until the 80's models, even then most where two shades gold/brown as your sister suggests ...
The 1978 brochure in the Document Center's Boler section shows factory original stripes, just like my 1979 B1700, but even on the 1300. It is only one gelcoat colour (same top and bottom), so it's still not the scheme Kenny describes.

As far as I have heard, no Boler ever had paint for the overall colour, or even for stripes. My stripes are definitely tape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 1978 brochure in the Document Center's Boler section shows factory original stripes, just like my 1979 B1700, but even on the 1300. It is only one gelcoat colour (same top and bottom), so it's still not the scheme Kenny describes.

As far as I have heard, no Boler ever had paint for the overall colour, or even for stripes. My stripes are definitely tape.
Brian your right I had forgotten I had seen that on the 1978 document but had it stuck in my mind I didnt see them until 1980. Sorry my error - memory going! Going through the documents I looked at the 1976 documents (age of OP's Trailer) and older and didnt see any with the stripes as described. Did see one in that age group with a very thin gold strip under the belly band and it was a delux model?

Brain is your trailer an Earlton one? Funny enough since posting my original answer I went back to take another look at the documents we have here there is an old newspaper story from August 1981 I didnt look through it the first time as I was looking for something as the same age as the OP's trailer. In the newspaper clipping here there is a couple of photos of a 13' and it may be the old copy or bad light but in one of the photos the belly band decal does look like it might be green and gold or it could be the light or a bad scan. The one in the newspaper clipping is also an Earlton trailer. So maybe Earlton did offer green strips and we just didnt get any wandering west .... hummm will be interesting to hear where the OP's trailer was built or what the experts over at Bolerama say.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Brian is your trailer an Earlton one?
My 1979 was built by Vanguard Trailers in Winfield, B.C., so it's the "western" version of that era. There were many detail differences between the products of the eastern (Earlton for most of the time) and western (Winnipeg, Grande Prairie, Calgary, Winfield) plants, so I agree that's a likely explanation for colour variations.

I've never seen the stripe colour or quite the pattern of the trailer in the article, but that doesn't mean anything at all, as I am not an authority on this sort of thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Registry
Yup there are differences between the plants, so if the OP could post a photo of the trailer and indicate what if any info - stickers or serial number and a photo of the colour bands - that are on the trailer that might help to point them in the right direction.

Tags
boler