Boler Couch - anyone have a photo (Front Gaucho) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
yep, hinges mount on the top and they are a step down type,(something like they have on surface mounted cabinet doors), have a 90 degree bend in them but I can`t find mine right now to see if the hinge bend in on the top portion of the hinge or if the bend is on the portion attached to the cushion....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #22

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
What a great camper you'll have when you are finished!
I haven't seen this bit of information posted yet, so I'll add it. The back cushion has the plywood, as you know. About 8 inches in from the bottom edge, the plywood on mine is cut vertically to the top so the back bends and conforms to the the curve of the camper. I like that part of this bench.

When I first slept in that bench area, if I didn't want to make up the big bed, I felt very claustrophobic. I took that back bench off the hinges and it rests at a better angle for sitting. When I do sleep there, I pull that piece down, lay the bottom cushion on top of it and with the extra cushion, I really sleep well. I don't know what I did with those hinges, but, when I bring Lovey home tomorrow, I can take a look under the seat and see if they are still there. Most any heavy duty hinge would work, however. And, for screwing through the fabric into the plywood, my drapery installers had to do it all the time. It's no big deal if you start a small hole with a nail and go slowly.

Isn't your little girl under a year? If so, there was a thread about making a side for the bed so they didn't fall off. You may want to search for that.

With all the covered plywood seat cushions done, has anyone put velcro on the fiberglass bench and the bottom of the cushion to hold everything in place, or, isn't it necessary?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 1970 Boler
yes, I will be adding some rails for our baby girl.

I need mine to hinge, not as a bunk bed but for extra storage while camping. I will make it as a bunk though in case we ever need another bed. A couple of Q's though:

1. How heavy duty are the hinges? Anyone have a picture of them?

2. What thickness is the plywood for the top bunk? I would think it would need to be fairly heavy duty. I bought 3/4" plywood and it seems ample but very heavy.

Thanks fro everyones help!
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I just felt my plywood thru the fabric and I`m thinking 1/2" so 3/4 is overkill on strength along with the weight.......I never use my back cushion so it`s sitting reupholstered wrapped in plastic under a bed upstairs.....I really didn`t want to unwrap it and unzip it to measure the thickness......generally, I believe, the bunks are for kids, so 1/2" is sufficient...and if I knew where my hindes are, I`d shoot a pic.....anyways.....that`s it for now......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #25

thanks for your help. I finished the bottom portion of the couch today along with a drawer (in the middle) and 2 stoage areas on each side. I am now ready to cut the back/bunk board out.

Based on its length it looks as though the bunk supports mount at a bit of an angle? As the top bunk does not appear to swing out enough (long enough) so that the support beams sit straight up and down. Unless I'm wrong here.

Couple more Q's though....

1. Can someone post pics of their hinges?

2. How long is the bunk/back board?? I figure its about 75.5" accross and about 23.5" long?

Tyhanks everyone.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:
thanks for your help. I finished the bottom portion of the couch today along with a drawer (in the middle) and 2 stoage areas on each side. I am now ready to cut the back/bunk board out.

Based on its length it looks as though the bunk supports mount at a bit of an angle? As the top bunk does not appear to swing out enough (long enough) so that the support beams sit straight up and down. Unless I'm wrong here.

Couple more Q's though....

1. Can someone post pics of their hinges?

2. How long is the bunk/back board?? I figure its about 75.5" accross and about 23.5" long?

Tyhanks everyone.
Hi, Kurt
I am sure my hinges in the front area storage. I'll go take a look and email you the photos. My welder man is adept at making anything I present. If you find yourself in a bind, I am sure said welder, who is very reasonable in price, could copy my set, assuming they are what you need. I would offer mine up, but, I just can't part with them given the age of my family and kids.

Look for an email in a couple of hours, ok?
Cheers!
Gigi
Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Hi, Kurt
I am sure my hinges in the front area storage. I'll go take a look and email you the photos. My welder man is adept at making anything I present. If you find yourself in a bind, I am sure said welder, who is very reasonable in price, could copy my set, assuming they are what you need. I would offer mine up, but, I just can't part with them given the age of my family and kids.

Look for an email in a couple of hours, ok?
Cheers!
Gigi
Kurt, I looked all over the camper for the hinges and then went into the basement. With all the packing and tossing around here, I surely hope they went to storage and didn't get thrown. I'm afraid I can't help you out with pictures until I find a house and finally unpack.
Sorry about that, I really thought they were at hand.
Good luck and hopefully someone will take a photo for you.
Gigi
Old 04-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #28

thanks for trying Gigi.....anyone have a photo and size off the bunk/back couch piece?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #29

ps - my email is redr2@telus.net....may be easier through email..

- Kurt
Old 04-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #30

anyone?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #31

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001_01.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2560
Hi Kirt!
Take this for what it's worth. I went and took some pics this AM.My Boler is a "84 But very similar.
Here is the seatback vertical with the filler behind.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #32

Name:	PICT0003_01.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2561
Here is the bunk raised.The brackets are merely shower rod holders and 1" aluminum tube.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #33

Name:	PICT0004_01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2562
Here's a shot from underneath showing the support bar. It's just a piece of 3/4 plywood 2" wide and 31" long, fiberglassed into place and covered with the same material as the walls. You will notice that some of the models in the late 80's had a cloth not ensolite.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #34

Name:	PICT0006_01.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2563
This is the filler piece. It's 63x6x4".cut the curv to fit.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:52 AM   #35

Name:	PICT0007_01.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2564
This is looking down on the support. The seak back has been attached using butt hinges. Piano or other may look better.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:01 AM   #36

Name:	PICT0010_01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2565
I've unzipped the cushion. The plywood back has been made in 3 pieces. This is so it will fit the curve of the wall when vertical. The center piece is 61x22". the ends are cut to fit leaving about a 2" gap at the walls.These pieces are also butt hinged. THe support bar was installed 4" down from the top edge of the window rubber. When the seat back is raised it is almost flush with the window.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #37

James

You are truly a life saver - that was exactly what I needed. I will post pics of mine when I'm finished!! Thank you!!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #38

Glad to help. I know there are better ones out there but it'll give you the basics. The rest is cut-n-fit.
Waiting to see the finished thing.
Jim
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #39

Finally finished the thing. It was a hell of a lot of work. Dtill have to buy the foam and the fabric to cover it but the hardest part is done.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Name:   couch.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  12.2 KB
Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
I have a 1970 Boler and the last guy ripped out the couch and installed more counter top space. Works great except now we have a little girl and need the extra bed. Just wondering if someone could post pics of their couch without the cushions so I can figure out how to build mine. Thanks everyone!!

- Kurt
thanks, Kurt
for the site and the pics of your bunk assembly. makes perfect sense. wiill see if we can do that in our little scamp. now i see that that long thin upholstered piece is for--to sit on top of the hings so don't pinch at night! cool.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler