boler cracks, chips, holes repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #1

Name: Tenneille
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
boler cracks, chips, holes repair

How do I tell if the spider cracks are just in the gelcoat or deeper?

The driver side upper half has a section with multiple spider cracks likely due to the stress of there not being a support bar between upper and lower cabinets.
How do I fix?

How do I repair the cracks in the fiberglass around the door. One near top right and one bottom right each about 1.5 " in length likely due to stress from broken frame which is being replaced? Do I cut out a section. If so, how big? Then follow instructions for usual fg repair?
1)Place a backing with non-stick layer
2)Sand/Grind the edge for feathering
3)Place cloth same size first then bigger for second layer
4) Apply getcoat on top if I want it to look pretty?

How do I fill the old frame holes which have worn bigger?
1) from underside with square patches and figerglass ?
2) from inside -squeeze in some epoxy resin(they are under the benches so won't be seen?
3) If I forgot to feather the holes, what will happen?
Tenneille M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hello again Tenneille,

A good reference for fiberglass repairs is here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html

Where exactly are the gel coat cracks? Can you post pics? Generally, unless gel coat cracks are accompanied by a pronounced bend in the surface, the underlying fiberglass is not damaged. Next, to identify underlying damage, you need to view the backside of the fiberglass looking for cracks or separation. If you find it, then repair by bending the surface back into place, properly supporting it, then adding at least 3 layers of fiberglass mat coating each layer with resin. After supporting structures are in place and any underlying fiberglass cracks have been repairing, then you can repair gel coat cracks if desired. This is done by grinding (i.e., with a small v shaped grinding head) a very small groove along the crack, then filling with thickened resin or body filler.

Regarding the cracks on the upper half driver side, first thing to do is add support between the lower and upper cabinet. There should be a support on the left side next to the sink.

Regarding cracks around the door, again I would first fix the source of the problem, apparently the broken frame (and from your other thread, the threshold). The other structures supporting the door opening are the closet wall and the curved square metal tubing to the right of the door as you enter. Make sure all of these supporting structures are in place and firmly attached.

Regarding the screw holes in the frame, I simply used larger self tapping screws and washers. This worked.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I would assume you are going to paint your boler after the repairs?

Ours had a lot of spider cracks, what I did with a dremmel tool I ground out the biggest crack and filled it with long strand filler, for the smaller cracks I wasn't to worried but when I painted my trailer I used Interlux pre-coat which is a primer I sanded the whole thing down and painted it with Interlux topside marine paint and all the spider cracks disappeared.

As for the frame either get a welder to weld patches over the holes, or get a whole new frame which will increase the strength of the whole body.
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler