Boler cushion recovering, front upper. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Boler cushion recovering, front upper.

We have recovered all of our cushions but one. It is the hinged bunkie section. For some reason, the original cover has the bottom side covered in vinyl instead of fabric. Is there a reason for this? Can I forgo the vinyl and use fabric? Puzzling.... Any ideas, folks, from previous experience???
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
My guess is that some owners, such as those with small children, or pets, might prefer to travel with the vinyl side up, if possible, to reduce the impact of spills and accidents.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Ontario
Cushion Vinyl Back

In my 1976 Boler which I just purchased all the cushions have the vinyl on the side that goes against the body of the trailer. My guess is that is how they came from the factory. It was used to keep moisture out of the cushion. Don
oldbmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Cushions.

Upper hinged bunk cushion is ONLY one with vinyl is is not reversible, either...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Upper hinged bunk cushion is ONLY one with vinyl is is not reversible, either...
Don't worry about it, just do what works best for your needs.

I like to place a piece of the EVA foam yoga mat on the boards under my cushions, this keep them from sliding around and helps reduce the wear on the fabric. It also adds a little extra cushion and even some extra insulation. Vinyl is too slippery, especially for an upper bunk cushion backing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 1983
Montana
Another thought - I recently took my cushions to an upholsterer to be redone - including that one in the front. I mentioned that though it currently had vinyl on the underside, I would prefer fabric. She talked me out of it - saying that with the wood bottom enclosed in the cushion cover (when it is used as a bunk bed) would easily wear the fabric. Her point of view seemed to make sense?
Julie in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp uses fabric all around. No wear on mine after 10 years of use. I prefer the feel of fabric when you brush against it (rolling over in bottom bunk). With a little effort the cover could be removed and reversed for additional wear or to hide damage or a stain.

I vote for fabric on both sides.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
All my 76 boler cushions have vinyl on the underside and fabric on the upper side you sit on. I am in the process of recovering all the cushions, and will be reusing the vinyl as it is still in good shape and was used for moisture and rubbing that happens while travelling, wears better. One spot was damp and marked on the vinyl but did not go through to the foam. A good scrubbing got it off just faint mark left in that spot. I would have left them original but the top fabric was disintergrating.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #9

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Don't worry about it, just do what works best for your needs.

I like to place a piece of the EVA foam yoga mat on the boards under my cushions, this keep them from sliding around and helps reduce the wear on the fabric. It also adds a little extra cushion and even some extra insulation. Vinyl is too slippery, especially for an upper bunk cushion backing.
What a good idea.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, eco