Boler door handle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Gill
Trailer: 74 boler 1300
British Columbia
Boler door handle replacement

Just wondering if anyone knows if the door handle replacement set that Scamp sells would fit a 74 boler 1300. It looks similar with the L handle on the outside, the inside handle is a little different , here is a link to the picture of Scamp's inside handle assembly.
Outside Door Handle
Also vintage trailer sells a similar set, does anyone know if that one would work? I am aware that Paul Neumiester sells a replacement handle assembly for a boler 1300, but these other ones are are quite a bit less. Thanks for your help
gillie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
My 1974 Boler's previous owners replaced the outer door handle with one they picked up at Scamp. I'm not sure if the previous one was broken or they lost the keys or what. They might have told me but I forgot.

The inner handle on mine looks very similar to the Scamp one too, but I'm not sure if it's original or a Scamp one. Mine has a hole halfway between the square hole and the handle where you can put a pin or etc. to "lock" the door when you are inside, but I don't see that on the Scamp inside part, so I'm not sure.

My inside handle does not look like the Neumeister one.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #3

British Columbia
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-315-inside-door-handle.aspHi Raya, thanks for the reply. I realize my link showed the outside Scamp handle, here is the link for the Scamp Inside assembly.I believe what is on the inside of my door right now is the original setup,
the handle is narrow and curved similar to the Neumeister one,though I could be wrong. It sounds like maybe this Scamp setup might work...maybe!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Gill,

I went and had looked at both the inside and outside on Scamp's, Neumeister's and Vintage's sites. My inside handle looks very close to the Scamp/Vintage one except for having the "locking" hole. And I know my outside handle was new from Scamp in 2008 (inside looks older).

I see that the Vintage one sounds like it has some locking tab (where handle joins body?) on the inside. It may not be Fort Knox, but I think it would be nice to have, so of the two I would lean toward the Vintage one.

How did you get the price from Mr. Neumeister and would you mind sharing it? I didn't see them on the site and once in the past I e-mailed and called but did not get in touch with him (I did not persist through as it was not critical).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks so much Raya for taking the time to look at those locks/handles. I really appreciate that. The Neumiester assembly is $135 plus shipping and handling which is quite a bit more than the others, but should fit a 74 no problem. I like the look of it but not the price so much! I got the the price from Paul Neumiester by phone recently, he was very helpful and knowledgeable. So there is my dilema....pay a lot and know it should fit, or take my chances on the scamp/vintage one for less money but have the hassle of trying to return/ship back if it doesn't fit... Thanks again Raya!
Gill
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
door handle -

hi there... i realize this is quite an old thread but hoping you are still around! we just picked up a 74 boler and the door keeps swinging open while on the road - not so good. we were wondering about replacing the door handle and i just read your posts. what did you end up doing? any advice? cheers.
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Alli, unfortunately you probably won't hear anything back from Gill or Raya:

Gill - Last Activity: 05-25-2011 05:44 PM
Raya - Last Activity: 03-07-2011 12:38 PM

Hopefully a current Boler owner will step in and give you some sound advice.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

British Columbia
Hi Alli, I ended up buying the handle assembly from Vintage, but decided that the door would probably need to reworked and I have put the whole project on the back burner for now. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

Hey Gill, welcome back!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
We replaced both inner and outer handle with Vintage Trailer Supply replacement handles. The two new pieces fit each other (obviously) but the inside lock differs on the new handle versus the old handle. Since we replaced both, we didn't try to fit them together, although size wise they are identical. They fit the old holes on the Boler ('72 13ft) door right down to the rivets. Can't vouch for Scamp's handle though.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #11

British Columbia
Thanks Donna!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #12

British Columbia
thanks for the advice... didn't find any handles on vintage, at least not on their site. it appears one has to make an account just to ask them any questions so i guess i'll have to do that to find out if they can help with those parts. i'd really like to have a secure door, both for transit and for when we are camping so in between all our gutting/cleaning/painting/ reupholstering, this door latch thing needs to get done! LOL
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #13

Alli, I just searched Vintage Trailer Supply for "door handle." Is any of what I found, what you're looking for? Vintage Trailer Supply Door Handles/Locksets
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #14

British Columbia
thanks miss donna! i've been in contact with kim at vintage and the search is on!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
HI Alli,

Did you see the review of VTS 167 by the folks from BC. on the web site Donna posted? Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #16

British Columbia
the latch that is on the door right now looks different - like a T handle on the outside. i read that review and am assuming i could probably use the L but because it's different now i'm a bit nervous about it. i didn't want to remove the thing until i had a new one to replace it but maybe i need to to do some measurements instead of just eyeballin.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAlli
the latch that is on the door right now looks different - like a T handle on the outside. i read that review and am assuming i could probably use the L but because it's different now i'm a bit nervous about it. i didn't want to remove the thing until i had a new one to replace it but maybe i need to to do some measurements instead of just eyeballin.
The review was actually from us...forgot we wrote one! Maybe Alli you can post a picture of the latch?

Could it have been previously replaced? In which case it may not be the same as ours. We have the Canned Ham Door latch on the inside coupled with the Locking L handle on the outside. These were the originals on our trailer and the VTS parts we replaced. The only difference is that the original lock on the inside was comprised of a pin and slot type lock and on the new latch there is a "locking trigger", which is a little switch type lock.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #18

I'm betting Alli, the T handle you currently have is a replacement... from a garage door. That's what's on my trailer! I replaced the broken L handle. Same shaft size with the T handle, except I had to cut off about 3". YMMV
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #19

British Columbia
we decided to go with the canned ham door right hand door latch for the inside and the locking L for the outside. these, for all appearances, should work
ordered last night from vintage and they are already on their way so by next weekend or so (fingers crossed) we'll have them installed. yay!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAlli
we decided to go with the canned ham door right hand door latch for the inside and the locking L for the outside. these, for all appearances, should work
ordered last night from vintage and they are already on their way so by next weekend or so (fingers crossed) we'll have them installed. yay!
Good Choice

Tags
boler