Boler door sag fix help needed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #21

Name: S B
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I will try again. Thanks for letting me know
Seraphena Aswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Donna D. posted good instructions on posting pictures in this link.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #23

British Columbia
I hope these come through ok. Since these pictures I have gotten some work done. I will take some more tomorrow hopefully and keep you posted as to my progress. Next is getting new tires on and fixing the vent at the top as it was full of wasps nests
Attached Thumbnails
PA180899.jpg   PA180901.jpg  

PA180902.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Take a very close look at your frame, the door opening indicates that either the frame is bent, twisted or broken or the floor has deteriorated and the body is not sitting straight on the frame. Review the info on this link may help you identify the problem, it shows common problems and how to spot them. Boler Buyer’s Guide
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #25

British Columbia
Hi Ian and Joan
This was a great post and I will show my mechanic. I will get back to you once I get his reply.
Cheers
Seraphena
Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Take a very close look at your frame, the door opening indicates that either the frame is bent, twisted or broken or the floor has deteriorated and the body is not sitting straight on the frame.
I agree. It looks like the frame has already been welded in the first picture. Where the A frame meets the body on the door side.

Serephena, nice find - bolers with the recessed reflectors on the front <aka bug eye> are some what rare.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:23 PM   #27

British Columbia
Well maybe that's 1 good thing as all I can see is how much cleaning etc it needs. It will be interesting how much elbow grease it will take to make it shiny and clean again. I plan to make new doors for the inside and the fridge needs replacing and who knows if the stove or furnace work but I will keep in touch as I make slow turtle pace work on it. Thanks for Support
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #28

British Columbia
Hi Ian. Wondering where one can get those hinges and also new door handle?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphena Aswell View Post
Hi Ian. Wondering where one can get those hinges?
I am the supplier of the Stainless Steel Hinge Repair Kits, click on the bold words and you will be taken to my shopping page.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Hi Ian. Wondering where one can get ... new door handle?
Are you looking for just the locking lever handle or the entire mechanism for the door with latch? The handle is a common item you can get through more home improvement stores, it is commonly used for cargo trailers and truck body applications. The actual mechanism riveted to the inside with the latch, the best source is probably Scamp trailers.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #31

British Columbia
Hello Ian
The latest with the Boler is that the door is now level and I am having to replace the axle after following instructions on your writeup. Question I have is whether you know where I might be able to buy an axle specifically for a boler or do I just go buy one from Canadian Tire? Also inside the Boler some of the seams have come unstuck and wondering if there is a tape I can buy that might cover the seams anew?
Appreciate your wisdom and expertise as I am quite new at this.
Cheers
Seraphena

The hinges were awesome ta
Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hello Ian
The latest with the Boler is that the door is now level and I am having to replace the axle after following instructions on your writeup. Question I have is whether you know where I might be able to buy an axle specifically for a boler or do I just go buy one from Canadian Tire? Also inside the Boler some of the seams have come unstuck and wondering if there is a tape I can buy that might cover the seams anew?
Cheers
Seraphena

I do not know where you are located but if your in the Lower Mainland or in the Valley, Escape Trailers in Chilliwack has replaced a number of Boler axles for folks in the area. Prices are reported to be the best around and service was fast.

Get one with brakes or the very least one with a brake mounting flange so they can be added later if your tow vehicle specifies a trailer you tow over x so many pounds must have them, as many do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #33

British Columbia
Thanks for your reply. I am located in Powell River and will get in touch with Chilliwack Escape trailers for information. Thank-you.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #34

Registry
As your in Powell River it would probable be easiest/cheapest to tow the trailer to one of the welding shops that does boat & farm type trailer repairs in the area and have then help you.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #35

British Columbia
Hello Carol
Phoned Escape trailers in Chilliwack and they are no longer doing this type of work on trailers and have not for a while. Guess I just missed the boat but thanks for the information and glad I checked it out.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Hello Carol
Phoned Escape trailers in Chilliwack and they are no longer doing this type of work on trailers and have not for a while. Guess I just missed the boat but thanks for the information and glad I checked it out.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering about that when I typed it as I know they are now at their max production capacity.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Hello Ian
Cheers
Seraphena

Carol provided great advice, too bad Escape no longer can help. I usually recommend using Standens Springs as the supplier for the Dexter axle. They are located in Calgary but have distributors in several area, check their website for locations. IMT Standen's Limited Partnership a 2200lb axle for a 13' works very well with a 10 deg up angle gives you the original ride height. On my website it lists the ride heights based on the arm angles if you want to taylor it to your usage.

I have not found a seam tape that works without adding extra adhesive which is messy. I have used a latex based caulking to fill the seams (Dynaflex 230). It is very easy to use, paintable, cleans up with water before it cures and has a 50 year warantee

Very happy to hear you are happy with my hinge repair kits, please leave a review on my website if you have not done so yet.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:02 AM   #38

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
electric brakes

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I am located in Powell River and will get in touch with Chilliwack Escape trailers for information. Thank-you.
: if you are going to be traveling in the USA most states say anything over 1600#'s have to have a braking system.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #39
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: if you are going to be traveling in the USA most states say anything over 1600#'s have to have a braking system.
Stude
Great point Peter
I would definitely get brakes with your axle.
Since the normal configuration when you receive the new axle is a trailing arm and the boler uses a leading arm you will need to switch the complete brake assemblies (backing plates) side to side so they will work correctly.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Stude
We have brake laws in Canada as well and like the US they vary from Province in regards to the trailer weight. For example in the US & Canada there are many states/provinces where the law is actually 3000lbs.

In Canada I think Alberta is the lowest at requiring them on trailers of 2000lbs or more. MANY 13' Bolers loaded up for camping come in at that weight or close to it - or at least the ones that have actually been weighed do. ;-)

In BC the OP's province. brakes are also required on a trailer of 3000lbs or over BUT the law in BC also stats that brakes are required if the loaded trailer weighs more then 50% than the weight of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.

The 50% rule is common to other provinces as well. Some US states set the trailer max weight at no more than 40% of the tow vehicles GVW.

Brakes are always a good thing and if put a new axle on an old trailer that did not have brakes the add'n cost of adding on brakes is well worth it. Replacing trailer brakes is way cheaper than replacing vehicle brakes.

Tags
boler