Boler Floor Insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: 1978 Genuine Boler
British Columbia
Question Boler Floor Insulation

Hi all: apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I only did a quick search and didn't see it so I'll put it out there.

I will be stripping out my 13' 1978 Boler, and when I install a new floor I would like to give it some insulation value. I have tiles for the kitchen area and some laminate flooring I picked up for the rest of it. I was thinking of cutting a 1/8" plywood subfloor so I don't glue directly to fiberglass, then glueing the tiles/laminate to the plywood.

But ... can I put some sort of insulation under the plywood? Foam carpet backing, that tinfoil bubble wrap I've seen, something else? Doesn't have to be much, but I'd like a little something down there.

Any thoughts on any part of this scheme would be greatly appreciated.
rubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I thought seriously about sandwiching a 3/4" blue Styrofoam insulation panel between the flooa and a sub floor.
Either that or attach (glue) 1" under the floor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Just remember any extra thickness you put on top of the floor reduces the already limited height inside your Boler.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

British Columbia
Yep, Ian, for sure. Good thing both my wife and I are ... diminutive. Compact, you could say.

What might be the best kind of thing to put down? I seem to recall that foam underlay doesn't hold up well over time.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Tony, I suggest finishing your floor with the laminate, as you've planned, and then cutting a remnant of carpet to lay over it. You could also put down foam underlayment for additional R value. One advantage is that it will be easy to revert to the original headroom clearance. You can replace the carpet every few years if need be.
Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
In the winter I use the play room/work out room foam mat that looks like a jigsaw puzzle. I take it up in the summer. It works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-20-2015, 12:15 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tony, can't say anything about r value but there have been a number of folks that have installed a bamboo floor and say it is very warm underfoot and holds up very well.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

I just ripped out the under-bed storage compartments, the lino, and the plywood floor. I'd been smelling something a little funky back there ... it turns out a LOT of water has been seeping in and the plywood was soaked, swelled, and rotting.

The floor is a raised square of fiberglass, with a sunken channel all around next to the walls. I don't see this in other Boler pix I can find. All the channels were filled with swamp water (now drained). Seems like a weird design feature.

I am thinking of glassing over these openings, making for a smooth floor. Any thoughts, or warnings why I shouldn't do this?
Attached Thumbnails
channel resized.jpg   channel resized 2.jpg  

Tags
boler