boler floor repair underside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Tenneille
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
boler floor repair underside

At first I thought I was just going to fill the old holes from the frame attachment and make new ones. Now I must become a fiberglass genius so looking for help.

When I was underneath, I started seeing more problems such as soft spots in the fiberglass caused by the bad frame creating stress and allowing water to seep into the wood. My boler is Peace River made and is all fiberglass underneath. Shell attached with a zillion screws to the frame. There are slats of wood spaced about 6 inches apart running width wise from front to back. It is not like other bolers where the entire floor is a sheet of wood.

inside floor

So, the 2 problems are
1) rear driver side end of frame: where the last screw attached the shell to the frame, there was wearing and the fiberglass was damaged. I cut out a rectangle sized piece of the rotten wood. Now I plan to marine glue a replacement piece of wood and fiberglass aka "laminating" over top. How do I go about feathering together the gap?

existing new
wood layer wood patch
____________________gap ______
existing new
fg fg layer
____________________ gap _____
In this above representation, there is a gap between old and new fiberglass. This is what I need help with.

2) Rotten wood at door entrance underside. Once again, cut out a 3 inch piece the width of the door entrance. Glue on a new piece of wood. Now plan on fibreglassing overtop aka "laminating". Is this the right course of action?
Tenneille M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Tenneille,

From what you have described your floor and bottom are the same construction as my former Boler 13. The floor top layer is gel coated fiberglass. Followed by supporting wood slats, then a bottom layer of fiberglass (no gel coat), so that the wood slats are completely encased in fiberglass. To do the fiberglass repairs/patches, I would recommend using polyurethane resin such as Bondo brand resin together with at least 3 layers of fiberglass mat such as Bondo brand fiberglass mat. The original Boler 13 gel coat and fiberglass construction used polyurethane resin.

To prepare the old fiberglass surface, sand with 80 to 100 grit sandpaper, also sand exposed wood, then clean all with acetone before applying the patches. When you send the old fiberglass surface, you can taper the edges. I believe the benefit of tapering is to add strength to the repair and minimize the chance of later cracking.

There is a good reference for repairing fiberglass here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Tenneille,

I believe I have answered part of your question, i.e., regarding adding new fiberglass patches. Of course, the wood repairs are also important as the wood provides much needed structural support. As I recall, the wood slats rest on and are supported by the steel frame members. So any wood repair joints, splices or ends must rest on the steel members.

If you have any questions about this, it might help to post pics.

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Ontario
Hey, I’m having the same problem currently... did you ever find a good technique to solve this issue?
GregMiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler