Boler frame help needed BC Lower Mainland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Name: Val
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Boler frame help needed BC Lower Mainland

Hi, we own a 13 ft Boler with a now unsafe, unusable frame, badly cracked in two places after about four weekend jaunts. We were assured that the frame had been repaired and was in good shape -- so much for honesty. (Apparently we were lucky to get away without a serious accident.) We live in the Vancouver area in BC, and we're in our sixties, still working, so there's a limit to what we can do ourselves. I've had the Boler towed back to Chilliwack from Salmon Arm, and I've found a place, Escape Trailers, that will make a new frame (and axle if I need it) for $800 and $400 respectively.
Unfortunately, the Boler has a plywood- sandwiched-between-fibreglass floor, so Escape Trailers is unwilling to remove the egg from the frame, as it involves bolts and screws, most of which will be hard to find (apparently, it's a big job -- lots easier if it's a fibreglass only floor). What I'm looking for is a reliable someone or firm that will take on either the whole job or at least the removal of the egg from the frame and the placement onto the new frame. Does anyone know of anyone or any firm around the Lower Mainland that might take this on and that you would recommend? Thanks,
Val
valinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Val, I dont have an answer for you other than I know those how have had Escape do axle replacements have been really happy with the cost/results. Sorry to hear they cant help you re getting the body off the frame though. There is a thread called 1974 Boler 1300 Frame Removable with lots of good info and videos on getting it off. I wonder if you where to take it off if Escape would be willing to put it back on the new frame for you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Did you inguire at Escape if they knew anyone that could help?
If an 8 hour drive was close, would be happy to take on a that job.
Sorry can't help.
I operate a handyman business,,basically will try about anything with good results. Keep your eyes open in the classifieds. I'm sure there are lots of people who can help,,it's just to find them.
fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #4

British Columbia
Boler reprieve.

Thanks for the replies. Escape Trailers is going to take it on, so we're very happy campers at the moment. They'll put on a new frame and axle with brakes, and I'm very glad to have her in good hands.
Val
Old 09-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And while you're at it, you're getting brakes on that new axle... right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

British Columbia
You bet!

Yes, the axle has brakes and the trailer will be rewired. I'm also thinking of taking the furnace out -- the original and still, I'm told but haven't checked, working -- as it's so old and it's propane after all. I have a healthy respect for propane. I'd make a cupboard instead and keep the furnace in case it's sold later on. What do you think? Is it worth keeping and getting it checked?
Val
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: 13' Boler '69
British Columbia
Frame Complete?

Val,

Just wondering what came about of your frame repair at Escape. I am considering replacing my frame (already 40 + years old, rather do it now then deal with it down the road). Let me know how things went with Escape if you have already had the work done and if you don't mind PM'ing me the cost on the new axle and frame.

Thanks for your help

Dan
danielcaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

British Columbia
Frame

We had the frame done at Escape, and they were great! The frame cost just under $1000 (including painting it etc) and is stronger than the original was when new. The axle with brakes cost $490, wiring was another $150, and the labour was about $300. We had the propane checked (it failed badly), and so there was testing, a new regulator and hose plus wiring in a propane detector I had already and a carbon monoxide detector that I bought from them ($60). They were helpful, friendly, skilled and actually apologetic about the cost! I would not hesitate to recommend them. The frame was built by a welding place also in Chilliwack, and Escape arranged that. The man to talk to is Reace at Escape Trailers -- it is just off exit 116 on the Trans Canada at Chilliwack.

We were very lucky to not have anything more serious happen than not being able to continue past Salmon Arm on our trip east. The frame was cracked in 7 places, one of them broken all the way through, and it was a bent and twisted lace network of rust. Anyway, it is all fixed and very safe now. -- and less than half the price quoted in Salmon Arm. That was a very useful tip!
Val
Old 09-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #9

Registry
Glad to hear Val that yet another some other brand of Fiberglas trailer owner got great service at Escape. Also by the sounds of things your visit was none to soon.

Safe travels
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by valinnes View Post
We had the frame done at Escape, and they were great! The frame cost just under $1000 (including painting it etc) and is stronger than the original was when new. The axle with brakes cost $490, wiring was another $150, and the labour was about $300. We had the propane checked (it failed badly), and so there was testing, a new regulator and hose plus wiring in a propane detector I had already and a carbon monoxide detector that I bought from them ($60). They were helpful, friendly, skilled and actually apologetic about the cost! I would not hesitate to recommend them. The frame was built by a welding place also in Chilliwack, and Escape arranged that. The man to talk to is Reace at Escape Trailers -- it is just off exit 116 on the Trans Canada at Chilliwack.

We were very lucky to not have anything more serious happen than not being able to continue past Salmon Arm on our trip east. The frame was cracked in 7 places, one of them broken all the way through, and it was a bent and twisted lace network of rust. Anyway, it is all fixed and very safe now. -- and less than half the price quoted in Salmon Arm. That was a very useful tip!
Val
Wow, lucky you to not have a serious, serious problem! Great service and reasonable price too from Escape. Sounds like you ended up only paying about $500 for just the frame. That is an excellent price! You do know the man you talked to is the owner of Escape Trailer Industries? Now THAT is service!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wow, lucky you to not have a serious, serious problem!
well the good news is it sounds as though the trailer is good and safe for another 25 years.

To put the cost of just an axle here in BC in perceptive, a neighbour took his 13' Trillium into get a new axle after having done some shopping around for a good price - but unfortunately they didnt think about taking it to Escape or ask for a price from them. The best price he found was at a popular axle place in Burnaby - $750 plus tax. Worse still the trailer has been at the shop for over two weeks now......
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

British Columbia
Hi Donna. We were lucky, very, and yes, I did know he is the owner; he's great! The frame, as I said before, was just under $1000; it was the axle with brakes that cost $490. The Boler is now good for another thirty odd years -- it'll see me out!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #13

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
What about van island?

Has anyone had a boler frame replaced on Vancouver island? Comox valley area? Any welder/fabricating suggestions?
Thanks!
TobyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler