Boler front window rock guard install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Have not been on here in a while and still working on the project. I was extremely lucky and managed to get an early style front window rock guard on Craigslist, $20 . Early meaning no outer formed edge or raised portion in the middle. Still has the original Boler decal on it. the only problem is that there is no mounting hardware at all. Wondering if someone can post pictures of one installed especially the hinges, stay open rod and locking closed hardware.
Thanks
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: RogerH... I believe the Scamp rock/gravel guard hardware and edging will fit the Boler one. Check their parts store on line and/or give them a call on their 800#.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
1977Boler_Voyageur.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kevinh.../28/xSf38f-jA2k
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Geat video Kevin!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Hi: RogerH... I believe the Scamp rock/gravel guard hardware and edging will fit the Boler one. Check their parts store on line and/or give them a call on their 800#.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I don't see either on the Scamp parts site, but they probably do have more parts available if you call them.

Two notes, from the perspective of my Boler:

1) The perimeter trim on mine, which is also not the "raised" style, is a Trim-lok type product, which you can get from numerous sources.

2) Check to see what the hardware is made of if you do order it: It would be nice to have something besides the painted mild steel that was original.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't see either on the Scamp parts site, but they probably do have more parts available if you call them.

Two notes, from the perspective of my Boler:

1) The perimeter trim on mine, which is also not the "raised" style, is a Trim-lok type product, which you can get from numerous sources.

2) Check to see what the hardware is made of if you do order it: It would be nice to have something besides the painted mild steel that was original.
Thanks for the info. Not sure where I got it but I had enough of the perimeter trim, identical to the original, in the garage. I made a quick visit to the depot after watching Kevins video but they had none of the hinges or hasps. Checked out the Scamp site and it had nothing either. Looking for closeup pictures to get something relatively similar.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Hi Roger,

Here are some photos of some original 1970's Boler 13 rock-guard hardware.

This will give you an idea how it works, but I don't know that it's anything to crow about. Since it's just painted mild steel, it tends to rust/leave marks.

There are two identical sets of hardware; one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side of the rock guard, about 5" or 6" in from the side of the guard.

On the top, there is a fitting that's riveted to the trailer body that is basically a flat hook, curling up. Then in the same place on the top of the rock guard there is another fitting that is basically a slot, riveted on. Thus the slot fits over the hook and the top is held on by gravity. It's not a hinge, per se, and you can lift the rock gaurd right off the trailer. Here is a photo of these two top pieces of hardware, interlocked as they would be with the guard on the trailer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rg_hardware_top.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	23361

At the bottom of the rock guard there is an over-center type of clasp, something like there is on a ski boot, and then there is a "slot" fitting on the trailer shell.

Here are photos of the clasp, from front and side, and of the lower body slot.

Name:	rg_clasp_front.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	23362

Name:	rg_clasp_side.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23363

Name:	rg_bottom_catch.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	23364

So you lower part of this clasp until it hooks into the slot on the shell, and then you "snap" it up until it goes over center and "locks."

I don't believe there was any special, dedicated hardware provided to hold this style of rock guard up. I suppose one was just meant to take it off and set it aside. That said, two dowels or sticks or what-have-you will easily prop the rock guard up by catching the trim under the bottom edge (now up in the air and out away from the trailer) and then making a 45ş angle down to the belly band.

Some people have used arrows for this, and others have made fancier props (Joy, I know, for one).

I wouldn't go out of my way to get this particular hardware, as I mentioned above, but knowing what it looks like should at least give you some ideas.

Raya

Raya
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The middle of the lower three is what Scamp sells... I bought a set. One thing to be aware of, it's mild steel and will rust! I heavily coated the set I bought with spray silicone shoe "wax." It's an Amway product I've had for a while. Then I mounted the hardware and gravel guard. Don't want the rust! If possible, you may want to search for something that would work in stainless (we know that doesn't make it rustless... but it slows it down.)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

Hi Donna,

Just to clarify: the middle of the lower three (that you refer to) is the same as the upper; I was just showing the clasp in two different positions.

I cannot agree more on the mild steel issue; stainless can rust, but not as quickly as mild steel (even painted mild steel).

I personally prefer bronze for boat hardware, but you don't see a whole lot of bronze camper hardware!

Raya
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My bad Raya. The ones from Scamp are slightly different.

Here's the top of the gravel guard. I've completed the attachment with a small zip tie. I'll change that over to a small stainless steel pipe clamp. I leave the gravel guard on (ala Joy A.) and it creates an awning over the window. I used stainless screws/bolts on the gravel guard... humm need to clip them down!

Name:	20030326_0051.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	23373

This is the bottom hardware. One showing it clamped closed the other open.

Name:	20030326_0052.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	23374
Attached Thumbnails
20030326_0053.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #11

Hi Donna,

That hardware looks pretty much the same as the Boler, except for some minor shape differences; loop of wire vs. flat metal on the over-center clasp, etc.

Yours look so clean and shiny Makes the details easy to see.

Raya
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #12

Thanks for all the pictures and info. I sort of used the hinge idea of the newer version and Kevin`s video and used some brushed nickel 1/2 inch offset cabinet hinges. I attached them with #8 stainless screws and acorn nuts inside. Now on the hunt for some stainless hasps and some form of rod to keep it open when required. I will post pictures shortly.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #13

If you search "Perko hold down clamp" you'll find a type of marine hardware that looks like it should substitute for the lower two pieces of hardware. They come in stainless steel or chrome-plated bronze. I've seen lockable (have a loop you can put something through) or non-lockable styles.

Raya

Edited to add: This West Marine catalog page has a selection of brand/styles. Note that WM is not the cheapest shop around, so although no marine hardware is cheap, you can probably knock $10 or so off by shopping around.

Name:	0381.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	23381

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?pa...ackProdId=22803
Old 05-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #14

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My bad Raya. The ones from Scamp are slightly different.

Here's the top of the gravel guard. I've completed the attachment with a small zip tie. I'll change that over to a small stainless steel pipe clamp. I leave the gravel guard on (ala Joy A.) and it creates an awning over the window. I used stainless screws/bolts on the gravel guard... humm need to clip them down!

Attachment 23373

This is the bottom hardware. One showing it clamped closed the other open.
Attachment 23374
Thanks Donna i needed this for a project we are doing on the love bug.. Just got 2 of these from Scamp , one for the front and back window.
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #15

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Hi I cannot access this, when I select it, it comes up with youtube and wants me to upload a video. Help

I am putting on a new edging on the guard and need to know how to reinstall using the origninal hinge pieces to the guard, the others are still on the boler, looks like they were rivetted on but don't know if the hinge goes on the outside or inside. Also should it fit firm against the window rubber. 1976 boler
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:37 AM   #16

Name: Artur
Trailer: boller
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Hi I cannot access this, when I select it, it comes up with youtube and wants me to upload a video. Help
This is a correct link
Artur Moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler