Boler Furnace restoration question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Folks - as I mentioned before the crash the sensing element snapped off the gas valve of the Suburban furnace in my 1976 Boler. I finally tracked down a replacement gas-valve here: Robertshaw Gas Valve - no small accomplishment as every rv tech I spoke to told me "parts aren't available". Imagine my delight! . In any case, the rv tech on here Cape Cod that exhibited the most delight with my boler gets the install job - he was surprised I found a new gas valve, to say the least . Anyhow, where do you who might have a similiar unit have the sensing element mounted? Outside and below the furnace? Behind the furnace control access door? On the floor on the furnace cabinet? There is no longer a sensing element mounting clip anywhere, so before I install one I would like some feedback from anyone who might have any experience with this... thanks - and happy trails! Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
What model of Suburban is your furnace? What is the sensor for that you are trying to find the mounting location of? Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:01 AM   #3

Hi Benny - The furnace is original to the trailer - it is a Suburban model GT6-3A, direct vent sealed combustion travel home heater. The original gas valve on it was a Honeywell V5500B. The temperature sensing element is the little copper tube that is normally mounted in the return air stream. it is attached to the gas valve via a long length of thin copper tubing - see my link above for a picture of the replacement gas valve I purchased and you'll see it illustrated. It is a thermo control. Thanks - Alec
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
If you go to this link you will find links to both the Suburban and the Wagon Master furnaces that were used in most of the F/G trailers in the 70's. There are service manuals for stoves, refrgerators, furnaces, awnings, etc.

Link to Service Manuals

These manuals don't specify where the capillary tube is to go so hopefully someone can pull the whole front cover off their furnace and post a picture of the capillary tube layout. It will probably be somewhat similar between both manufacturers.

The Honewell Valve instructions do give some good suggestions as to how to install the bulb and capillary tube which should be enough to get you up and running.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
thanks Al...now know that you were talking about the thermo couple....guess the most important thing about it is not to kink it and, between the gas valve and the pilot light it be suspended away from anywhere where it could be damaged from abrasion or clipped/tied down so that it doesn`t move and rub against anything to wear it away...in places that that may rub, I`d use pieces of the stick- on door insulating foam to keep it from touching anything......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Hi Folks - as I mentioned before the crash the sensing element snapped off the gas valve of the Suburban furnace in my 1976 Boler. I finally tracked down a replacement gas-valve here: Robertshaw Gas Valve - no small accomplishment as every rv tech I spoke to told me "parts aren't available". Imagine my delight! . In any case, the rv tech on here Cape Cod that exhibited the most delight with my boler gets the install job - he was surprised I found a new gas valve, to say the least . Anyhow, where do you who might have a similiar unit have the sensing element mounted? Outside and below the furnace? Behind the furnace control access door? On the floor on the furnace cabinet? There is no longer a sensing element mounting clip anywhere, so before I install one I would like some feedback from anyone who might have any experience with this... thanks - and happy trails! Alec

Hi Al on mine the temp. sensing bulb was outside & below furance clipped to the fiberglass base. Telll rv tech to leave cap tube (all 36 in.) coiled as is pictured beside valve just uncoil tubing from bulb end to bulb mounting position. Ti wrap remaining coil to stop tubing from chaffing.Good luck
Lloyd
Lloyd Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:14 AM   #7

Great! Thanks Lloyd!

Alec

+

Tags
boler, furnace