Boler Hitch Coupler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1974
My '74 Boler has a coupler with a knurled knob on top instead of the more familiar latch type mechanism. Is this type of coupler original? Does it present any problems or advantages?
Thanks, Bob
A. Robert Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Do not know if it is original (funny I say this because I started a thread awhile back about trying to keep things original in my 80 Boler)
but anyway.... the disadvantage is that you need to hand crank this to make it lock into place and who knows if your tired or have a sore hand you never tighten it the same.
The latch system relies on the tension one has on the big nut on under side of latch against the spring.
Once it is know to be the right tension on this nut, every time you put the latch down it is the same tension.
I would have this changed over to a latch system.
As always check the locked hitch before traveling by latching and crank the trailer back up so it will lift Tow vehicle a bit and puch tongue sideways with you foot to be sure of a secure hitch.
Gerry the canorbuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I wouldn't guess it's original, but there were many Boler plants, and no guarantee that they used the same parts or even that any one of them always used the same parts... maybe one day they ran out and some guy picked a coupler up at the local hardware store.

Since most people are not fanatic about originality, the main concern to me would be whether or not the coupler is a safe and sound design. Likely yes (this stuff is generally tested to industry standards so any brand is likely fine), so as long as you know how to use it properly, and it is in good condition, it should be fine.

U-Haul tends to use a handwheel type of coupler with an interesting feature: the clamping part underneath which is pulled up by the handwheel to engage the ball has four faces, shaped to match different sizes of ball (typically 1-7/8", 2", and 2-1/8"; yes, I know, no one has a 2-1/8" ball...). If this coupler is that multi-fit style, and you don't have it turned the right way for your ball, it may not be properly secured.

This is from one of the current U-Haul user guides; bizarrely, it does not mention that the clamp has differently sized faces, although that feature has been described elsewhere, and is apparent in the drawing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UHaulCoupler.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9490

My Boler has a very different coupler from Atwood.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler