Boler Jalousie windows not closing properly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
Boler Jalousie windows not closing properly

HI.

I have just finished fixing the jalousie window on my '72 boler. At the same time I applied 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of metallic spray paint to the metal bits. And I replaced 2 broken hinges, hence the need for disassembly. I am pretty sure I got the right hinges (#835), as they fit fine.

But when I reassemble, the mechanism opens and closes the panes, but in the closed position, the left side (opposite side to the crank handle) doesn't close and seal properly. There is maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap which I can force closed by hand, but when I release, it just springs back to reopen the gap. The crank-side closes and seals well. Almost as if the window panes are bent, but with the "glass" still in them, how could they be? or could they be?

A second thing - I have tried adjusting the hinges by trying all 3 hole positions for the screws.

Has anyone had any such issues? Or any ideas?

regards
Nolan
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Hi Nolan,

I have the similar problem as yours - the other side can't be tightly closed.

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I think you have highlighted a characteristic of many Jalousie windows that makes people reluctant to use them, outside of mild climates. ...They open wider, but many also close wider.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

British Columbia
HI Eric

Did you solve the problem? I am going to try a couple of things to see if I can solve it, otherwise I'll just seal it shut permanently - there are plenty of other windows to use, plus I intend to install a fan on the ceiling vent to aid airflow.

Oh, and if I didn't have to replace 2 hinges, I would never have disassembled it. In fact, my other window will be painted in tact (I may still remove it from the boler because the previous installer didn't use butyl tape - they used silicone by the looks of it. Sticks like crazy, and doesn't leak (we've had a lot of rain, light and heav,) in Vancouver lately)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #5

Alberta
HI Nolan,

I applied a thin layer rubber strip on the frame. It works fine so far. I suggest you don't seal it permanently. There are solutions. In hot weather, the ceiling fan is not big enough (I replaced it with a bigger one).

Since this is kind of common problem, I believe you may get a lot of ideas if you post your question on "I own a Boler" group in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/2344319156/

Best luck.
Eric
Old 04-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

British Columbia
Jalousie window not closing properly - misalignment of window pane. SOLVED

OK, so that anyone reading this in the future can see my solution, I fixed my problem fairly easily.

The precondition for this fix is that I totally disassembled the window - everything except the panes. On reassembly, I assumed that the mechanism that connect the rotating bar to the bars that hold the window hinges (that move up and down) - I don't know the name for this - were the same on the left and right. They certainly looked the same. So I didn't think twice about putting any of these on any old side.

That was the mistake. Turns out that these parts are not precision machined, and there must have been a couple of degrees difference in the mechanism (bear in mind this was made in 1972) and therefore the vertical position of the bars were not totally in alignment, forcing the window panes to be out of alignment. I switched the two mechanisms around (right to left and left to right), and hey presto, problem solved.

Good luck
Nolan
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #7

Alberta
Glad you found that out. Do you mean that, when the window is closed, there is no gap at all? How about when push the panel from outside? Is there any displacement?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Good to hear. They are nice when they work.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #9

British Columbia
Exactly. No more gap and panes are firm when pusbed. You can see that its as it supposed to be.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #10

Alberta
Great. I'll check mine. I disassembled both the windows into all pieces. Seem one is better than the other. You info gives me a clue what to check.

Thank you!

Will you go to Boler's 50th anniversary party? We may meet there if you go there too.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #11

British Columbia
We are travelling through the prairies but out timing is a little too late for the 50th
Maybe another gathering...
Let me know how the fix works out.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
GOOD job Nolan, you just gave many the fix for a rebuild .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, jalousie windows, windows