Boler Roof Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Name: John & Sarah
Trailer: '77 Boler - 17'
British Columbia
Boler Roof Vent

Hi,

I need to replace the roof vents on my '77 Boler. It seems pretty straight forward, but I just wanted to verify with anyone that has done it.

I was thinking of using the 14" Scamp roof vents 14" Scamp roof vents ? My assumption being that pretty much any 14" vent should be fine.

Does that sound about right?
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, it's all about the measurement. You'll probably find one closer to home than shipping from Scamp.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Name: John & Sarah
Trailer: '77 Boler - 17'
British Columbia
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing actually.

These two are from a Canadian source and seem to be what I need:
Vent
Vent + Fan
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree with Donna, 14"x14" roof vents are readily available at any RV parts supplier We get lots of hail in our area so I really prefer the all metal roof vents, they last a lifetime, they are getting harder to find but Vintage Trailer Supply still have them 14" Galvanized Vent with Flat Galvanized Lid
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #5

Name: Britney
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
I really wanted a tinted lid but was worried about hail breaking it. I ended up ordering the same metal roof vent that vintage trailer sells from etrailer.com. I found it was less money there and when I had ordered from vintage trailer I paid duties when the package was delivered, didn't have to pay anything extra for my etrailer order.

This is the one I ordered,
https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr...2110SP-24.html
britneydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
The plastic lining was broken on our metal one, but it is in good shape and not leaking so we did not want to replace it. So we glued some metallic, insulation bubble wrap to the inside. Works like a charm and it is actually quieter when the rain hits it. Looks better then the old yellowed plastic as well.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Alberta
I have mounted 3 of the Fantastic fans in my two Bolers. The only thing I'm not totally happy with is that I couldn't find a rot resistant spacer to put on top of the trailer so the fan housing would mount flush to the inside of the trailer. Half inch HDPE is ridiculously expensive.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
I have mounted 3 of the Fantastic fans in my two Bolers. The only thing I'm not totally happy with is that I couldn't find a rot resistant spacer to put on top of the trailer so the fan housing would mount flush to the inside of the trailer. Half inch HDPE is ridiculously expensive.
I also think you would find it impossible to seal a HDPE spacer, nothing will stick to it
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #9

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I also think you would find it impossible to seal a HDPE spacer, nothing will stick to it
I was just going to sandwich it between layers of butyl tape. That is what I ended up doing with a piece of plywood that I sealed up with spray seal. I know it won't last forever but for now looks much better on the inside.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
White cutting boards for the kitchen are made from HDPE; just cut one down to size - pretty cheap.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
White cutting boards for the kitchen are made from HDPE; just cut one down to size - pretty cheap.
LOL yes I know. I was so determined to find a cutting board that would work I carried a small tape measure in my pocket for months! The only problem is that for a 14"x14" square vent, you actually need a 16"X16" cutting board (because the mounting edge turns out). I could never find one big enough in any big box store or even Bed Bath and Beyond. I found one place online that would custom make them for you, but then they wanted $80 a piece! And needing three, they would be some pretty expensive vent spacers!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-71689.html

Here was my solution for my MaxxFan install on my Trillium.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

Alberta
That looks great Clayton! Where did you buy tubular fiberglass? I would be worried the joints would break when tightening down but then I don't have your fiberglass skills or jig building for that matter!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
LOL yes I know. I was so determined to find a cutting board that would work I carried a small tape measure in my pocket for months! The only problem is that for a 14"x14" square vent, you actually need a 16"X16" cutting board (because the mounting edge turns out). I could never find one big enough in any big box store or even Bed Bath and Beyond. I found one place online that would custom make them for you, but then they wanted $80 a piece! And needing three, they would be some pretty expensive vent spacers!
King Starboard is a standard marine material. You could get a 16x16 x3/4 inch piece cut to size here for $36 plus shipping. It's pretty light. I use a whole lot of different plastics in my biz.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p..._starboard/526

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #15

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I agree with Donna, 14"x14" roof vents are readily available at any RV parts supplier We get lots of hail in our area so I really prefer the all metal roof vents, they last a lifetime, they are getting harder to find but Vintage Trailer Supply still have them 14" Galvanized Vent with Flat Galvanized Lid
I removed the vent to paint. Mine doesn't have the plastic part. It's just the metal part and sits on top of the hole. Should I think about modifying it when I put it pack in?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #16

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
King Starboard is a standard marine material. You could get a 16x16 x3/4 inch piece cut to size here for $36 plus shipping. It's pretty light. I use a whole lot of different plastics in my biz.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p..._starboard/526
Thanks Charlie. Still a bit on the expensive side. With shipping before taxes and duties (if there were any) it came to $173.72. Better than the $300 though for sure!!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #17

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi Tim. I bought the square tube fiberglass from a place in Everett, Ont called Maple Leaf Communications. I got the 1 1/2" stock. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $100.

www.mapleleafcom.com
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler