Boler (RV windows) ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1968 Boler #40
Saskatchewan
Question Boler (RV windows) ??

Hi All,

First of all what a GREAT FORUM !!

Anyone know where I can pick up RV side windows for my boler? I'd like to get slider black framed windows for the sides

Also has anyone ever replaced the back and front windows with actual glass framed winows on there boler?

Thanks
howIbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ed, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here.

I see there's been some views and no one has answered your questions (yet), so leave it to me (the blabber mouth) to at least give you an opinion.

If you have the wonderful jalousie windows, consider keeping them. All the parts are fixable and replaceable. The nice part is they open thoroughly and even when it's raining... no rain gets inside (unless it's coming down sideways!). Sliders open up less than halfway and let rain inside. (I'm VERY biased and would swap my sliders for jalousies in a minute). If you're still determined, you can buy windows from Scamp... but it's not a direct fit (jalousies vs sliders) and would require fiberglass work in the corners (jalousies have 90 degree corners, sliders are radius).

If your Boler is like most egg shaped trailers, you cannot replace the front window with glass (unless you can find an early 80s window out of a Scamp), it has to do with the compound curve and glass doesn't just curve. The back window MAY be replaceable with glass... IF the back is flat. Even early Scamps had rounded rears and can't use glass windows.

To determine if your trailer has compound curves (and would need "plastic" windows) place a straight edge (2x4) right in the middle of the area that would be the window area. If the edges are NOT touching the straight edge, you have a compound window area and a glass window, as a direct replacement, is not possible.

Anything is possible if you're willing to do quite a bit of fiberglass work. Build up the area to change a compound to straight and fill in 90 degree to radius....

I hope this makes sense?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

Can't help with your questions, other than knowing Bolers are the ancestors to Scamps & Casitas, I do not know much about them. (There is a small green one parked in someone front yard a block over from us.) If you do not get any other answers (not that Donna's isn't good, in fact it seems really good advise), you might repost in the 'General Chat' or 'Problem Solving' Sub-Forums. Good luck with your Quest.

I am sure you will get a lot of fun with it, if you haven't already. I will be waiting for some pics and camping reports.

Never did any camping in Saskatchewan, but did get to do a visit to Moose Jaw & an overnight in a motel in Regina. Very neat area. We did more south of Saskatchewan in North Dakota.

T Roosevelt Nat'l Park North Unit North Dakota - Bison in Cottonwood Campground, 2009.

AW

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Donna has the right idea. Keep the crank-out type. We have a newer? 1984 Boler with the slider style windows and the only time that we can open the windows in rainy weather is when we have an awning on the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Like James we have the sliders on sides and the rear window. We finally installed small trailer awnings on the rear window and the side window opposite the door. With the door side big awning out, we can now have all the windows open in the rain and it is wonderful. However, they weren't cheap.
bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Hehr International produces the windows for Scamp. If you go to them and their website directly, you will find that they offer a jalousie-style, crank-out alternative. These are black framed, and feature the radius corners most commonly found on newer trailers.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I would love to see pics of the awnings around the side and rear windows.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Manitoba
Good advise Donna. I never thought of the rain as being a problem. I was just about to change mine over to sliders. My crank outs are in pretty rough shape.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Doesn't Vintage Trailer supply sell parts?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #10

Manitoba
I will try to look them up and see what they have. Any idea where they are located?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
I would love to see pics of the awnings around the side and rear windows.
OK I'll post the pictures of our awnings. One of the Best things we ever did with the slider type windows. We also installed a tiny little window at the front kitchen side as our kitchen only has a small round vent. We wanted more light and ventilation and we put a small aluminum cap on that window so it also can be open in the rain. Good to go !!
Attached Thumbnails
08 02IMG_0849.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #12

Registry
Lets see if this works. You can just see the little cap on the tiny front window as well. These awnings are spring loaded. If I were doing it again, I would buy the cheaper ones that you just unroll and roll back up again, but these cadillacs work just fine. Make sure you caulk every join really well though.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #13

Registry
OOOOPS almost forgot to warn you. The biggest problem we have with the awnings is walking into them when we don't pay attention. Of course I seldom do that, but the Mister does it a lot!
bizzian
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #14

Manitoba
That looks awesome. Do you mind if I ask where you found the awnings? As for walking into them, at 6'3 I'd better be careful. haha.
Are you going to be heading to the 3rd anual Manitoba rally at St. Malo Provinvial Park in August?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #15

Registry
Our regular RV dealer ordered them. I can see if I can find out where for you. A friend of ours restored an old bus beautifully and he put them all over the place! He did the work himself and I know he ordered them. They are in florida right now but I'll e-mail him and see if he remembers where he got his.
We are organizing the first EggFest here in south-eastern Ontario, in Kingston at the end of May, then we have committed to go to Quebec bolerama in early September. This year we have also committed to go to the Atlantic meet in New Brunswick at the end of July, so I am afraid Manitoba would just be too, too much. We'd love to do it since I have family in and around the Brandon, Souris area, but we are both elderly (or - older than dirt, if you will) and surprise! we find can only do so much. Normally we stay off the roads in the heat of July and August as well. If it's a brutally hot summer, even New Brunswick will be out for us.
As soon as I find out where the awnings come from, I'll let you know.
Here they are all closed down, neat as a pin.
Bizzian
Attached Thumbnails
08 01IMG_0848.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #16

Registry
By the way, our back window opens, which I know some of them don't. That custom made table bracketted on the back will hold a small a/c if we choose. However, we find them a bit heavy to lift on and off all the time, so we used it instead for a big fan. Now we have a fantastic fan, in the ceiling so we have taken the table off.
Bizzian
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #17

Manitoba
Sounds like a busy summer. Thanks for all the info but you don't have to go to too much trouble. I think we have a couple of awning places in Winnipeg so I'm going to search around a little.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #18

Registry
You might just ask your local RV dealer. Our guy just looked them up in one of his big supply catalogues.
Good Luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 17 ft Boler
Sunview Windows

I replaced the rear window in my Boler 1700 with a window from Sun-View Windowns in Summerland BC.

RV Windows by Sun-View Industries
timmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Brian I spotted some for sale of Craigs list in Surrey BC a few weeks ago - the ad is still up so perhaps they still have them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, windows