Boler-to-frame fasteners -- I'd like advice on how to replace them - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #15

Name: Dana
Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
California
If you use U-bolts you should have a saddle on the frame to keep the U-bolt from crushing it. Because the part of the U-bolt that actually touches the tubular frame member is very narrow it is easy to crush the tube.

Also, unlike screws or bolts into the frame, a U-bolt only holds the two items together, but does allow them to slide along the length of the tube.

Finally, for those thinking of drilling all the way through the frame and using a bolt, tightening the bolt will tend to crush the tube, squeezing it like a soft drink can. That's why they used screws in the first place -- tightening the screw does not significantly distort the tube.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #16

Name: Carlos
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Has anyone used new larger screws to replace old/loose ones? If so what size is recommended? Do you just go in the same spots as the old ones?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
I've just today retrieved my '73 Boler frame from the 'sandblasting and paint' shop. Mine (Earlton built) was originally fastened to the fibreglass body with 14 'lag-type screws'. I have also welded four secure angle brackets, one near each 'corner' of the overall body-to-frame mounting areas, and will thus 'bolt' the body to the frame, using appropriate large weight bearing washers. I will also replace most; but not all, of the mounting screws, for additional security.

Am I on the right track ? further advice would be graciously appreciated !
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
I have welded on four pieces of 1/4 inch angle-iron to the frame. one near each body-supporting corner, each with a drilled bolt hole. I now plan to 'bolt' the fibreglass body to the frame. I will also replace most of the original 'screws'. I am also leaning towards 'Lisbeth's concept of a 'U-bolt' structure for further security at each corner.

I sincerely appreciate the 'advice' and ideas I've gleaned from this site. Tanksalot !
And, of course, further advice is always appreciated !

Tags
boler