Bolting a cage to the interior...? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Lorena
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to lorenaj
Bolting a cage to the interior...?

Yay, I just had my brand new 17' Casita SD delivered to my house!! Hello new home!

So I'll be living in this thing for a while, along with my dog, and, if possible, my 6 foot Redtail Boa. Here's my question: I want to build a custom cage for my snake, and bolt it to the underside of the storage area over the bed (directly in front of the back window). I was thinking I could use two or four heavy duty bolts and drill them directly from the inside of the storage area. The cage will be a little less than four feet long and two feet wide, made of plexiglas and lightweight wood.
Is this a terrible idea? If so, is there another spot that I could convert into a cage that I haven't thought of? Or a better place to bolt it down? Do people even bolt things to their fiberglass trailers or is that a no-no?

I thought about converting the closet, but I don't really want to "mess up" the trailer that much, thus affecting it's future resale value. A few bolts in the ceiling is less of a modification than tearing out the closet and turning it into a cage. Also, the lack of sunlight would make me sad for my boa.

Any thoughts on this craziness? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
lorenaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
I bolt things on wherever I please in my trailer, so sounds good to me!

However...and please forgive this if it sounds busybodyish:

I hope you don't intend to transport the snake in the trailer. I don't know if they're subject to motion sickness, but even if not, trailers ride really rough and I can't help but think the snake (or any other creature) would be really uncomfortable when the trailer's under way.
__________________

__________________
.................................
Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I would go to the Casita forum and ask over there what the restrictions are regarding weight limits on the roof. The cage may weigh more than what the trailer is designed to hold up in that area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Adding additional weight to the bottom of that shelf might not be a good idea as it will be at least 4X as heavy each time you hit a good bump. Also, Mr. Snake may not be to happy either, that's about the roughest place to ride in the trailer while under way.

And sorry, but the fact the a snake once lived in the trailer will be apparent to all potential buyers in the future, not from eyes, but from the nose....
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenaj View Post
Yay, I just had my brand new 17' Casita SD delivered to my house!! Hello new home!

So I'll be living in this thing for a while, along with my dog, and, if possible, my 6 foot Redtail Boa. Here's my question: I want to build a custom cage for my snake, and bolt it to the underside of the storage area over the bed (directly in front of the back window). I was thinking I could use two or four heavy duty bolts and drill them directly from the inside of the storage area. The cage will be a little less than four feet long and two feet wide, made of plexiglas and lightweight wood.
Is this a terrible idea? If so, is there another spot that I could convert into a cage that I haven't thought of? Or a better place to bolt it down? Do people even bolt things to their fiberglass trailers or is that a no-no?

I thought about converting the closet, but I don't really want to "mess up" the trailer that much, thus affecting it's future resale value. A few bolts in the ceiling is less of a modification than tearing out the closet and turning it into a cage. Also, the lack of sunlight would make me sad for my boa.

Any thoughts on this craziness? Thanks.
Everything I build is custom, and I get some odd requests. If you have any interest in a custom built ABS plastic cage for your snake I think this would be a most interesting project to work on - certainly something that would be fun to put up on my website. Appearance-wise, it would wind up looking something like the plastic kennels used to transport dogs on airlines - but I suspect you've already checked into that approach.

Charlie Y
__________________
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
blodn1's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Posts: 351
Quote:
If you have any interest in a custom built ABS plastic cage
Charly, I don't have a snake, but would be interested in a bird cage as soon as I order my Snoozy.
__________________
I don't get lost, I go on interesting side trips.
blodn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Charly, I don't have a snake, but would be interested in a bird cage as soon as I order my Snoozy.
Not sure a plastic cage would be a good idea for a bird. The ones I had would probably have gnawed through it!

Charlie Y
__________________
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
blodn1's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Posts: 351
I've seen a lexan one that he couldn't get his beak through. But it cost $800 - not part of the trailer package I was planning:-)
__________________
I don't get lost, I go on interesting side trips.
blodn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
carlkeigley's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Adding additional weight to the bottom of that shelf might not be a good idea as it will be at least 4X as heavy each time you hit a good bump. Also, Mr. Snake may not be to happy either, that's about the roughest place to ride in the trailer while under way.

And sorry, but the fact the a snake once lived in the trailer will be apparent to all potential buyers in the future, not from eyes, but from the nose....
Not to mention all that snake hair mixed in the rat fur......lol
__________________
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Best theft protection yet, a 6' long snake inside.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Night Sailor's Avatar
 
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Posts: 963
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
A snake won't protect you. You need to feed it once a month. Why not leave it home?
__________________
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Lorena
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to lorenaj
Snakes do not smell (except for a few particular species that use scent as a predator deterrent), provided their habitats are kept clean, as they should be. So I'm not worried about that.

The snake will have a transport cage that goes in my car, with a heat source. She will be in the trailer cage whenever we are parked, which will be for weeks or months at a time. Thanks for the heads up on the bumpy ride and possible stress to the snake- she would demonstrate her distaste for the ride by smearing poop EVERYWHERE, as snakes are wont to do when they're upset

I don't have a "home" to leave my snake in- the trailer will be my home starting mid-May. My mother is happily keeping my pythons, but she wants me to take the boa because of her size. My mom is not comfortable feeding her because she is so big.

I feed my snake pre-killed rats (as all snake owners should do for safety's sake), so messes from the snakes' eating habits are all but non-existent. (BTW, snakes should be fed once a week or every two weeks depending on species and size, not once a month- that's not usually enough!). Also, I'm not sure why feeding a snake is a problem on the road- people bring dogs traveling, and they eat a TON, every single day, compared to a snake.

Thanks for all the input, particularly for the go ahead on bolting things to the ceiling and the input on my snake's comfort level. After inspecting my trailer some more, it seems like it's going to work as that section is very sturdy! If anyone is interested, I'll post pics of the finished modification, and of the snake
__________________
lorenaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I don't think that you were actually given the "Go Ahead to bolt things to the ceiling".
One person said that they would do what ever they wanted to do to their own trailer.

And certainly you can also do that, but is it safe, will it damage your trailer, will it fall while travelling etc. Do you understand the stresses involved and the type, size and number of fasteners & reinforcements needed and what effect the weight of adding something will have on the existing structure and it's fasteners?

If you are just looking for a positive answer for your question, are you sure to always find that hereabouts, but it just might not be an answer to the question you are asking.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Francesca Knowles's Avatar
 
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Posts: 4,543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenaj View Post
My mother is happily keeping my pythons, but she wants me to take the boa because of her size
My mom is not comfortable feeding her because she is so big.

...And Mom's so little, right?

Sorry...couldn't help myself. You may tell Mom from me that I'm impressed that she's willing to feed the pythonssssssssssss!
__________________

__________________
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trillium interior seams Wendy M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 15 06-12-2015 12:34 PM
interior LED source needed cyndi H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 07-07-2009 07:16 PM
interior paint Gene B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-27-2009 07:10 AM
Interior themes Gene B General Chat 14 06-03-2009 11:33 AM
trillium interior miles attewell Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 05-25-2009 06:54 PM

» Trailer Showcase

Tilly

mstrong

Trillium

Glen_
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.