boomerang antenna question - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-04-2003, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
boomerang antenna question

Purchased trailer used. There is a single red wire extending into the trailer next to the coaxial cable coming into the trailer from the antenna. What is the red wire for? If it is supposed to be hooked up to 12v shouldn't it have a black (ground) wire also?

Old 03-04-2003, 07:57 PM   #2

I'll hazard a guess...

that this is an amplified antenna, and does require power. However, many such antennae are designed to be used on metal (ie, grounded) body vehicles, which glass eggs aren't. I know all the running lights on my old Starcraft (aluminum skin) only have one wire, and ground through the mounting screw to the trailer skin. Pop off the mounting screw covers on the antenna, and see if one or more of them have a ground strap going under the screw head. If so, you'll have to attach a ground wire to that point, and route it to an appropriate ground on the camper.

Alternately, don't do anything -- the antenna will still work, it just won't be amplified. Maybe it will work well enough for your uses.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #3

Thank you Paul,
I will have to cut the silicone off to lift it off the shell to check (no screw covers). Worst case...I need a new one.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:37 AM   #4

before you do any cutting, I'd call Casita, you did say you had a Casita? if it's fiberglassed in, they ought to know what it is. I hope. :)
Old 03-07-2003, 09:15 PM   #5

boomerang

The antenna appears to be held down with one bolt that extends up thru the roof threaded into the antenna. On the exterior the edge of the antenna where it contacts the roof is caulked. Very secure. When I have a chance to peel it back, without using caution, I may end up breaking the plastic antenna. If it needs replacement what is a good choice? Anything better that boomerang?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:07 AM   #6

antenna replacement??

I have the replacement antenna that came from Casita but no additional hardware or instructions came with it. The bolt that holds it on, if that is what it is, seems to have a rounded head. Has anyone replaced one of these?