Border Collie Damage to Casita Door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Roberta
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Quote:
From what I am seeing there I would want to take the door apart, and repair the fiberglass outer skin from the back side (there would still be cosmetic repair needed on the outside of course). Reinforcement could be added at the same time, so that a similar pull in the future would be much less likely to cause the same problem.

Raya
Thanks Raya. There is just some sort of hard foam insulation looking stuff inside the door, nothing to really fasten anything to so if we reinforce we are going to have to put something in that will fasten down from side to side. Not too sure yet what to use. I may give Casita a call to see what they suggest. They are so pricey with replacement parts sometimes that I rather dread even asking in case they say we should replace the entire door (Oh, surely not that...imagine the cost of shipping?)

Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Roberta, I don't know where in California you're located... but, you may want to check out RV Doctor George for a new (used) door. It may be easier to just replace the entire thing:
RV Doctor George

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #17

Name: Roberta
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Quote:
Roberta, I don't know where in California you're located... but, you may want to check out RV Doctor George for a new (used) door. It may be easier to just replace the entire thing:
RV Doctor George
Hi Donna,

We're in the high desert in Southern CA. I note that RV Doctor George is in Sacramento. Have you had dealings with them?

I called Casita yesterday and they said I didn't have many choices. I think they may buy the doors themselves since it didn't sound like they had any of that outer skin for sale. They said I could take it to a boat place and have it repaired or buy a new door - about $150. I forgot to ask but I wonder if that is without a window in it...that would make it lighter to ship.

I'll give RV Doctor a call and see what they have to say. I'm at the point that I'm wondering if a new door might not be the easiest thing too. Taking that door completely apart to do a proper repair looks like it will be quite a job.

Thanks~
Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Roberta,

When I say "reinforce," here is an example of what I mean. (I'm not looking inside your particular door, so this is more general.)

1) Separate inside and outside of door, so you have two fiberglass skins (or, alternatively, cut a large opening in the inside skin, if it is going to be covered by carpet or etc. anyway).

2) Patch outside door skin from the back (inside) with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.

3) "Reinforce" outside door skin from the back (inside) with something such as more layers of fiberglass, or a piece of pre-made fiberglass board (say, 1/4" to 3/8" thick and 8" x 14", for example).

4) Put door back together

5) Repair gelcoat on outside of door.

6) Remount holder-opener hardware, running fasteners through new reinforcing block

Note that depending on strength of door and hardware mounting, it may go through both door skins. In this case you would want the reinforcing block to fill the space between the skins (thickened epoxy, for example) and then the fasteners would go all the way through.

Raya

Tags
casita