bouncy receiver racks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
bouncy receiver racks

Hello out there. A trick that was shown to me a while back to prevent / diminish bounce in receiver mounted racks etc., is to drill a hole in the receiver and weld a nut over the hole. Partially insert bolt. once you have inserted the ball mount tighten the bolt. This puts pressure on the ball mount helping to eliminate / diminish the bounce. Pushes the ball mount against the walls of the receiver.
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
That is a terrific idea. Years (many, many years) ago I built a behemoth bumper and hitch affair for the back of a 4X4 truck. I cheaped out with a piece of 2" (ID) square tube I found somewhere for the receiver hitch. Trouble was it was slightly oversize and any hitch I put in it slaped side to side and up and down. I ended up fabbing a three sided shim piece that I slipped in around the hitch to stop the slop.

I like your idea but might point out that carried to the extreme a fellow would do two nuts and two bolts. One in each axis, left/right and up/down.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
Yeah taken to the extreme. One usually suffices. Hole in the bottom of receiver and a 1/2" bolt. Try one first , the up down. The side one probably wouldn't come into play other than around a corner/bend. The most irritating is the up/down. Load it and if you feel you need another , then another. There are I am sure hundreds out there. You can't see the bolt unless you crawl underneath.
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I attach my bike rack with a 5/8 bolt. I weld a nut to a flat piece of steel so I can insert it inside the tube. Most bike racks now come with a threaded insert. My Swagman rack that came with the receiver tube that bolts on the bumper has the threaded insert plus two 1/2" nuts welded on the bottom.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Most of us out here don't have a welder in our garage and may not want to remove an entire hitch to drill holes in it when the following are readily available.

Roadmaster 061 Quiet Hitch Anti Rattle Ring 2" Hitches | eBay

I prefer and use the Roadmaster "U" shaped anti-rattle clamp, works great every time I use it.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderishguy View Post
Hello out there. A trick that was shown to me a while back to prevent / diminish bounce in receiver mounted racks etc., is to drill a hole in the receiver and weld a nut over the hole. Partially insert bolt. once you have inserted the ball mount tighten the bolt. This puts pressure on the ball mount helping to eliminate / diminish the bounce. Pushes the ball mount against the walls of the receiver.
Just wanted to let you know that the receiver hitch we make for Casitas has a 1/2" fine thread hole in the bottom for just this purpose. (and of course we supply the bolt and jam nut)

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I use this for bike rack in 2" hitch.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...er/RM-061.html

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I use this simple bolt-on device to make everything tight.
Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote