Bowing Burro Roof Top - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Chad
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Bowing Burro Roof Top

Hello my name is Chad, I recently picked up a sweet 82' Burro in pretty good shape, the only thing I could see an issue with is some "bowing in" of part of the roof. Does anyone have any experience or know of anybody who has fixed this?

I haven't taken the carpet strip off the inside to check it out, but my initial plans were to basically use bondo/fiberglass cloth and build up the outside of the roof so rain drips off the trailer instead of puddle on the roof.... Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!
-Chad

Cdshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Did someone by chance add weight to the roof? AC? Fantastic fan? Solar? Or it may have been stored outside and had a snow load on it?

thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 2 - Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer's & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Bondo or glass cloth will only masque the problem. You need to find the cause of the roof problem and properly repair.

There are several current threads on this site by other people who have the same issue. Follow along with them and see what they have done to correct this problem.

Use the search tab with terms such as "Roof Sag".

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

Name: Chad
Trailer: Burro
Michigan
Bowing Roof

I am unsure of the original cause of the problem, there was a decent size bowing down of the roof which holds water, which I am sure only compounds the problem as the extra weight of the water bows it even further.....

From reading other forums and posts it seems like people slowly push up the ceiling so the fiberglass can return to it's original shape then I can reinforce and fiberglass underneath it to reinforce it, wouldn't that method help the structure of it to not bow back down....

The other alternate I have though about is getting light weight plastic strip to reinforce it.

-Chad
Cdshafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro