Brake Controller Hook up 2008 Buick Allure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Brake Controller Hook up 2008 Buick Allure

Hi everyone ,

Been a while sense I been on here . I replaced my older car (1998 Buick Park Avenue )with a 2008 Buick Allure 3.8L engine to tow our 4500 series Trillium with electric brakes . I am trying to hook up my Brake Controller .There is a difference in brake pedal wiring with all the new and cheap electronics on the newer cars and trucks to hook up my brake controller . Can't seem to locate the proper brake pedal wire to send signal to controller . There is a brake switch under the dash at the brake pedal but there is 3 wires green ,white and a grey one coming out of it and all are live all the time even with foot not on the brake . Hmmmmm . I checked the fuse block where the CHMLS fuse is for the brakes and it is live all the time too only when ignition is on .
Any ideas or brainer ideas or links that I can go to ?
Just a thought, should I run a wire all the way down to the back of the car to where the tail light hook up is and connect it to brake wire to connect to controller ?. Only thing is , if I put on turn signal the trailer brakes will go on and off LOL
Dave

Just added this on . Just wondering if I connect the controller to the rear center
window brake light in the car would that work ?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A few years ago I wired a Subaru. The task included installing a light converter that plugged into an existing Subaru plug. The function of the light converter was to combine the brake and turn signals for use on the trailer. I picked up the brake signal on the input of that converter. If you're using such a converter you might get your brake signal there. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First... Don't shoot the messenger....

While looking for some info for your controller I came across at least 4 sites with specifications for the 2008 Buick Allure that all had the exact same towing limit of 454 kg or 1001 lbs. indicated. Does your owners manual indicate otherwise?

BTW: I did see that several aftermarket hitches for that vehicle were rated at 3500 lbs. That's the rating for the hitch itself, not for the vehicle to which it is attached.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

Registry
The Buick Allure is rated at max 1001 lbs tongue weight on the trailer hitch , same as my older car the 1998 Buick Park Avenue . The tow hitch weight is rated at 3500 lbs that is what is on the newer Buick now and the same on the older Buick .
Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

None the less, he maximum towing weight is still 1001 lbs. The hitch does not change that value. If you look at the instructions with the hitch it will usually state to not exceed the vehicles manufacturers towing limit.

As an example that I have mentioned in the past, GM installed hitches at the factory that were all labeled for 6000lbs on Blazers with towing capacity's as low as 2000 lbs. and no higher than 5700 lbs, with a secondary label to refer to the owners manual for the specific vehicle for actual towing limits.

Plus, the vehicles driveline, brakes and suspension are not rated for that load.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Registry
Buick Towing Capacity Chart - HowStuffWorks

Found a chart with all the info . The Buick Allure is similar to Buick Lacrosse
I found the GCWR is 4,600 ibs

I had no problems at all towing Trillium with the Buick Park Avenue with friction bar and rear air shocks with v6 3.8 L base engine . Lots of power . Towed it to Nova Scotia and back to Ontario 6 times at an average 19 - 20 mpg No problems Towing up and down the hills thru New Brunswick .
Old 09-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

Well, I guess you will have to just do the math. The listed curb weight for your Buick is 3502 lbs. and your GCRW is 4600 lbs, that leaves 1098 lbs. about enough for a 1001 lb. trailer and a lunchbox.

There are many vehicles than can pull much more than their listed trailer towing weight, that's just a matter of horsepower/torque. It's the stopping, and what happens to handling when things go bad that are a part of the basis for setting trailer towing limits. In as much as Buick has stuck with the same figure for a number of years, I am only guessing that they know a little bit about their vehicles performance when towing. I personally don't have any concerns about what damage you might do to your vehicle, my concerns are for the others on the road around you should an emergency occur.

About all I can add is what I have told many others who want to intentionally tow over the rated limits for their vehicle: Ask your insurance agent and your lawyer what might happen to coverage and your personal liability should you be involved in or cause an accident under those conditions. You might even ask your local constabulary, in Ontario that too may be a consideration.

Back in the mid 50's to the 70's, Buick was the workhorse of the trailer towing family, especially with Airstream owners but, as the Buick ads used to say; "This isn't your Fathers Buick....."