Brake Controller Leveling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13 ft
I had a Tekonsha Prodigy installed on my Subaru Forester and I can't get it to level correctly. Maybe if I describe the problem someone can point me in the right direction.

According to the instructions for the unit I should 1) set the controller to full power, 2) depress the brake pedal, and 3) rotate level controller knob forward until light changes from green to red, then set it at orange.

My problem is that the light is green normally then red when I depress the brake pedal and no amount of playing with level knob makes the light turn green at full brake power. So I set the brake power lower until the light is orange, and no amount of turning of the level knob effects the light at all.

Is this a installation issue, or is the unit defective? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, incidently (Murphy's Law), I am supposed to leave for a camping trip tomorrow morning before either the trailer place or the Tekonsha help line opens.
Eric G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Been so long now that I don't recall what I did to set the unit up. One question does come to mind -- Are the TV and Egg supposed to be connected when doing this?

Were I you, I would level the controller by eyeball and then see how everything works, then call Tek Tech when you can. If it looks like a bad unit, just find an RV place that sells them, give them your old unit and they will give you a new one -- Worked for me.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13 ft
The tow vehicle does need to be connected, otherwise the light doesn't come on. I think I may just eyeball it like you said and take care of the problem when I get home. I will probably call Tech Support from the road.
Eric G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The tow vehicle does need to be connected, otherwise the light doesn't come on. I think I may just eyeball it like you said and take care of the problem when I get home. I will probably call Tech Support from the road.
I have the same unit on my Outback but mine is over a year old and it sounds like the unit is a bit different than mine in setting up - so sorry I can not help you with it but mine came with a little DVD in the box that had pretty good instructions when the printed ones did not make sence.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I have that controller installed on my Forester but I did not install it. However, I can take some pictures of the placement of it if you need. All I know is that It works great.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I checked the tekonsha web site and the Prodigy is self levelling,
any chance you might have the Voyager?

The instructions for that seem to be what you are describing. But their instructions differ.

http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions/3840,...0J%2011x8-5.pdf

and the FAQ's might give you and idea of possible things to look for

http://www.tekonsha.com/faqvoyager.html

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft and 1980 Trillium 5500
I just installed a Tekonsha Voyager in my tow vehicle - the levelling instructions you quoted sound exactly like mine. I mounted mine virtually level, due to the configuration of my dash and where I wanted it for ease of access - the lights lit up as indicatd in the instructions and I was able to level properly.

Is your controller mounted within the 70 degree window from vertical the instructions call for? If it was mounted in an incorrect position, it could cause the light sequence you described.
Garth M is offline   Reply With Quote