Brake Controllers - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Unhappy

Hi, all!
Have found some of the previous threads on brake controllers. Just a quickie - the trailer guy here in town wants to install a Voyager (don't know the model or anything) on my Kia Sedona, for use on the Casita 16' Spirit Deluxe I'll be getting on 10-14. I asked him about the Prodigy P3 & he said it's overkill. I'm a big safety person - a belt & suspenders person if you will, and reading previous obviously knowledgable opinions makes me think he's wrong. Do I still want to trust this guy to take care of me & the Casita Whippet Wagon, or should I do my own thing and just let him install what I buy?? All still happy with their Prodigy controllers?
Thanks!
Connie

Old 09-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #2

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I use the Voyager in 2 of my vehicals and have done so for many years without any problems and i am inclined to also beleive the Prodgy is over kill for these small trailers.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I have to disagree with Ches on this one. It's not so much a matter of overkill, it's the amount of control you can exercise over the controller, and the amount of feedback it gives you. I have two Prodigy controllers, and I'd never go back to the Sentinel I had. The Voyager will do OK, and will stop your trailer. The Prodigy (and now P3) gives you better control over how it stops your trailer. IMHO, they're worth the few extra dollars the Prodigy or P3 cost over the less sophisticated controllers.

Roger
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I absolutely agree with Roger. This isn't a matter of adding a bunch of unnecessary weight (as with an "overkill" structure), or even spending a bunch of extra money; the best Cequent controller (P3) is not much more expensive than the "good enough" Voyager, and has no disadvantages.

I'm not saying Chester needs to upgrade, just that when buying a new one I would not settle for less than the best of this line, given the small price difference. When I bought mine, the Prodigy was their best, and that's what I bought.

The "trailer guy" likely has Voyagers in stock, and will make more selling one of them than bringing in a special-order P3.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I absolutely agree with Roger. This isn't a matter of adding a bunch of unnecessary weight (as with an "overkill" structure), or even spending a bunch of extra money; the best Cequent controller (P3) is not much more expensive than the "good enough" Voyager, and has no disadvantages.
I agree with both Roger and Brian. I have had my P 3 for about 6 weeks now and very pleased with its smooth operation and ease of increasing braking force. Other features are the troubleshooting mode, for checking brake current and amperage. I believe the cost of the P 3 is very minute, compared with the value of what you tow.

Rick B
Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #6

British Columbia
The prodigy
http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #7

British Columbia
The Voyager
http://www.brakecontroller.com/voyagerandvoyagerxp.htm

The prices for any brake controlers are more costly in Canada
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #8

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The Prodgy is a great and simple to use controller and we don't leave home without it.

U can get a cable 4 it that plugs directly into your equipped vehicle, GM, Ford, Dodge and the controller works at any angle.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I guess I should clarify "not much more expensive"....

The P3 may easily be twice the price of a Voyager. Canadian prices are high compared to U.S. prices. The net effect may be $100 or more of price difference. On the scale of the importance of the device, and the cost of other RV parts, $100 seems like "not much" to me.

To put it another way: even if someone had a Voyager on sale for $1 when I was buying, I still would have paid $200 for the Prodigy, rather than wiring in and using the lesser device.

And once more... you can't practically upgrade every time something better comes along. The P3 is out, and I'm not (yet) replacing my Prodigy. If you have a less advanced (but still proportional) controller, and it works well, I see no problem with sticking with it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Actually, "not much more expensive" is really true here - I can get the P3 on line for about $125 & locally he quoted me $88 for the Voyager. Well worth the difference it seems to me, based on most of the feedback from you good folks.
Connie
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I haven't driven much with my Prodigy, compared to my old Voyager, but it sure does give a lot of information about the connections and what may have failed, so troubleshooting is easier. Plus it doesn't need to be level like the V.

The Prodigy can be moved from one TV to another very easily (requires a second mounting, of course).

But here's something to consider -- I believe the V has either a two- or five-year warranty, whereas the Prodigy has a limited LIFETIME warranty and all you have to do is take the old one to an RV dealer that sells them and they will swap it out right there for a new one.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #12

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
it sure does give a lot of information about the connections and what may have failed, so troubleshooting is easier. Plus it doesn't need to be level like the V.
I too like my Prodigy. My Odyssey does not have a level place to mount the brake controller, but it's not an issue with the Prodigy.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #13

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Prodigy.. all the way. I was able to figure mine out in just a minute or two, and I have been very pleased with it.

It is renowned to be the best, but I have no comparison. I can quote you what my brother said when I asked for a recommendation (He has twofootitis and is on his bizzilionth trailer...)

"If you don't install a Prodigy, I will send my children to live with you".

so....

I got a prodigy

I didn't think his children would make very good braking devices...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I didn't think his children would make very good braking devices...
On the contrary, Gina. I've found that children are great at breaking all kinds of things!

--Peter