brake trouble - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
brake trouble

I just got back from a long downhill trip. I noticed the 'c' on my brake controller would go out from time to time. I couldnt tell if it was the electrical plug connection or the controller. i would stop and check the connection whenever this happened and it would seem to fix it, yet sometimes i would just have to slide the toggle to have it visible again. Any ideas? The plug looks ok on both sides. it scared the crap out of me as it was a long trip back to sea level.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check the plug on the back of the controller also.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi H View Post
I just got back from a long downhill trip. I noticed the 'c' on my brake controller would go out from time to time. I couldnt tell if it was the electrical plug connection or the controller. i would stop and check the connection whenever this happened and it would seem to fix it, yet sometimes i would just have to slide the toggle to have it visible again. Any ideas? The plug looks ok on both sides. it scared the crap out of me as it was a long trip back to sea level.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Registry
good idea thanks. Just before i left after i hooked the trailer up my 12v compressor that i inflate my tires with blew my 12v outlet -never happened before. ive been told my fuses are fine but my stereo now stays on after i open the door sometimes, that never happened before either. seems like some type of electrical prob maybe?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Do you use dielectric grease in the connector between the tow vehicle and the trailer? Dielectric grease helps to keep the connection clean by eliminating electrical arcing and corrosion of the connectors.

If the connections are dirty, use a good contact cleaner on them, then use dielectric grease in the fittings.

Also, check for any places where the wiring might be rubbing on sharp metal. This could be on the vehicle side, but usually on the trailer side.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Registry
i dont even know what dialectic grease is. is that the same as putting vaseline on the battery?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I fixed my spelling error... It is spelled 'dielectric' grease. ETrailer sells it, as well as automotive supply and electrical supply stores.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #7

Registry
No you spelled it right the 1st time- i misspelled. spell checker is rotting my brain..............