Braund delta antenna - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2000
Nebraska
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Our Scamp 16 we just purchased has a delta antenna and booster made by Braund? I am thinking of taking it off. Or is it worth keeping? Anyone have experience with one? Thanks for any suggestilons.
Ron Walker

Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
If it is in the way or does not work all it is doing is keeping the holes in the fiberglass filled. Remove it or upgrade it to something that will work. if the coax is still good and you done already have an external connection the cable already hidden it might be worth adding a connection but then it might not if you cant reach the top of the scamp. maybe reuse the wire for a roof top solar panel.

the tv antenna on my casita is pretty much useless but it is not in the way nor is it leaking so i let it be.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
If it is working, it is certainly worth keeping. If you plan on adding a TV of some type it can be very useful, and if you don't want TV, it is better than a hole in the roof and helps resale.

The Deltas are very nice antennas, and provide very good reception. They stopped making them awhile back, I wish they still were available.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
but are they going to work with the new digital signals? from what i have been looking at new house antennas for digital tv dont look anything like the old flying clothes hanger i have now lol
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
On my old Bigfoot I had one and it was a source of a leak, I didn't notice it when I bought it and I'm sure it was leaking for a little while. Anyway I don't have any on any camper I would rather hook something to the bumper etc. I just don't like something bolted to the roof except for a fan or hatch. Just my 1.5 cents.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
On my old Bigfoot I had one and it was a source of a leak, I didn't notice it when I bought it and I'm sure it was leaking for a little while. Anyway I don't have any on any camper I would rather hook something to the bumper etc. I just don't like something bolted to the roof except for a fan or hatch. Just my 1.5 cents.

I would tend to agree, Tim. However, in the case of where one is already installed, I would think it is better to leave it than to remove it and have a 4" hole in the roof. Your post highlights the need to double check the seal and reseal if needed. It is the first thing I checked when I got my 16'.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #7

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I made an antenna from a small metal coffee can, put a nail thru about 3/4 down from the top and wrapped just the center part of the coax conductor around the nail. Some duct tape to keep it from moving around and Viola! nice picture thru the digital coverter. Found the instructions on Youtube.com There are other plans there also. Antenna building is fun to me. I ported the outside coax thru where the refer used to be and store the antenna there now. That area is now an Air conditioner and storage.

I get slightly less from inside rabbit ears and I hooked up the converter to a friends RV antenna, one of those really nice rotatable type in his trailer, also a great picture.

Now, to be sure we were close to Bloomington Ill. on a lake. I could get about 12 channels really clear, a few more at night.
Most of the Digital channels are UHF so a coat hanger could still work ok.

Now if you are amongst a lot of trees you may as well get out the DVD player because you'll get really poor Digital reception.
I really think people are going to hate digital tv as when there is interference you get mush. not just a fuzzy picture.

When I was at Rock Cut State park which is IN Rockford, IL , I got nothing with the inside rabbit ears and I was amongst trees . I can't wait to try the coffee can next year.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
I made an antenna from a small metal coffee can, put a nail thru about 3/4 down from the top and wrapped just the center part of the coax conductor around the nail. Some duct tape to keep it from moving around and Viola! nice picture thru the digital coverter.
Isn't it great to know that Red Green lives on.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #9

Tennessee
Um you lost me there. My father in law had a friend they called Red Green cause he had red hair. He was an artist.
But I never heard of any other except the Canadian store.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Um you lost me there. My father in law had a friend they called Red Green cause he had red hair. He was an artist.
But I never heard of any other except the Canadian store.

Do a google search for "red green".....
Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #11

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
http://www.3m.com/intl/CA/english/centres/...sure/duct_tape/
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #12

Tennessee
I get it. Very good. There was a DIY show from Wisc. a few years back about two brothers that fixed everything with duct tape.
I loved it.
It really is a great product in a pinch for sure.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #13

Tennessee
I just re-read my post, it was not a look what I did type post even tho it came out that way, it should have been Digital tv converters are just not that picky about antennas post. I'd bet anything would work just fine
Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #14

Tennessee
A quick update.

Last week while camping ( Yay!) I thought I would break down and buy the Phillips 40 dollar inside/ outside amplified antenna that Walmart sells.

Guess what? The coffee can antenna outperformed the amplified 40 dollar antenna.
I was amazed. I tried several tests and the coffee can kicked the Phillips antenna every time.
I returned it to Walmart.

I think next I will try a high gain youtube homebrew antenna.