Bringing a trailer over the border into Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm sure there are a few Canadian members who have purchased a trailer in the U.S. and brought it over the border back into Canada.......in my case Alberta. I've been told that I will need to pay GST on the purchase price. Is this correct? What do I need to know and what are the requirements in order to do this without encountering any problems, or at least a minimum of problems.

Anyone with information and/or first hand experience, I look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

VP1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
http://www.riv.ca/
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'm sure there are a few Canadian members who have purchased a trailer in the U.S. and brought it over the border back into Canada.......in my case Alberta.
Anyone with information and/or first hand experience, I look forward to your replies.
There are lots of threads on this already, try searching for importing to get a good idea of what is needed. Basically most of the info is published on the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) website. The rules are based on the age of the trailer with 15 years being the critical point.

Yes, you will have to pay GST on entry and most likely your PST when you register the trailer locally. 2 things are certain in life, Death and Taxes.

One point that might be critical is that many places in the USA have a "Title" for the trailer. You will most likely need a copy of a clear title to register locally. You might also need the FMVSS or CSA safety certificate attached to the trailer. There are minor differences in experiences from those who have crossed the border and registered locally ... but if you have all the paperwork in order it is a relatively straight forward procedure.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Yes, there's lots of good info in previous threads.

Now for a couple of specific points:
Quote:
Yes, you will have to pay GST on entry and most likely your PST when you register the trailer locally. 2 things are certain in life, Death and Taxes.
Fortunately for us, in Alberta there is no Provincial Sales Tax (and for U.S. readers... no municipal or county taxes here either)

Quote:
One point that might be critical is that many places in the USA have a "Title" for the trailer. You will most likely need a copy of a clear title to register locally. You might also need the FMVSS or CSA safety certificate attached to the trailer.
Again, here in wild west I registered my Boler without even taking it to a registration office... but it had been previously registered here in Alberta. Even without previous Canadian registration, I would not expect CMVSS or CSA requirements, because they generally apply to only new vehicle sales. Some RV dealerships even sell new trailers which don't have CSA certification.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I would not expect CMVSS or CSA requirements, because they generally apply to only new vehicle sales.
Not going to argue with you Brian, I'm just repeating what the RIV site says:
Quote:
Trailers*
Recall clearance letter
-The vehicle must bear a manufacturer's valid U.S. statement of compliance label at the time of
importation, otherwise a manufacturer's letter of compliance will be required.
-The Registrar of Imported Vehicles will mail a Canadian statement of compliance label to you
after passing the federal inspection.
And this line seems new since I imported mine last year:
"If you are importing a trailer, you may call RIV to have your Vehicle Identification Number verified ahead of time." They are looking for the 17 digit VIN
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Been there...Done that.....forgot the t-shirt.

Follow the directions in the link in the posting by Kent I referring to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to the letter and you will have no problem. Here is a link to comments on our experience. As Brian noted, the only difference will be the rate of Provincial Taxes.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
No question that importation will add requirements beyond provincial licensing requirements... and I can believe that might include CSA, although some commercial importers seem to get away without it.

A new VIN, or the current standard format, can now be issued to a trailer which has never had one, or for which the VIN is unknown. This is a relatively new procedure, intended to serve custom-built and older vehicles (including trailers). I don't know if importation might require getting one of these for some trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp
Valerie:

I bought a brand new 2007 13 foot Scamp and picked it up in July from Minnesota. I live in Calgary Alberta. The process was extremely straight forward. You pay GST and a $200 admin fee. Scamp gave me all the required paper work. It took 15 minutes at the border. Older trailers may have other issues like VIN numbers but if you are looking at new ones, it is really easy. If you are looking at Scamps, I think I may be the only one in Alberta that has a reasonably new one. I had to go to Montana to see one before I ordered it. If you want to see one, send me an email.

Anyone else in Alberta want to see a new 2007 Scamp....send me an email.

Art
Art S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
We imported a used Burro in July and the process is straightforward. Call in the VIN number to RIV (registrar of imported vehicles), they give you a file reference number. You collect the trailer, pay $200 plus GST at the border, then take the trailer home and wait for documentation from the feds. When you get the documentation, you take the trailer to a vehicle inspection station (Canadian Tire, and it's free) where they check it meets federal standards. It took about 15 minutes. Then you can register the trailer with the provincial DMV (paying provincial sales tax, where applicable and, in B.C., getting insurance at the same time) and you're on the road. Process takes about two weeks after you hit the border before you're legal to use the trailer.
Painless if pricey.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Valerie:

I bought a brand new 2007 13 foot Scamp and picked it up in July from Minnesota. I live in Calgary Alberta. The process was extremely straight forward. You pay GST and a $200 admin fee. Scamp gave me all the required paper work. It took 15 minutes at the border. Older trailers may have other issues like VIN numbers but if you are looking at new ones, it is really easy. If you are looking at Scamps, I think I may be the only one in Alberta that has a reasonably new one. I had to go to Montana to see one before I ordered it. If you want to see one, send me an email.

Anyone else in Alberta want to see a new 2007 Scamp....send me an email.

Art
Good to know. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #11

Thank you to everyone who replied with all the helpful information and links. Very much appreciated.

Valerie
Old 09-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Art, if you haven't already done so,consider registering with Scamp as an owner willing to show. There's even a way for you to get a referral fee if someone subsequently buys a new one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Valerie,

I also have a 2007 Scamp, but mine is the 19' 5W.

I had no problem getting it over the border, but it did require an "inspection". My local Canadian Tire is the inspection location suggested by the DOT. The paperwork was completed, and the Canadian label sent. Scamp gave me most of the paper I required, and the people at the border crossing gave me the rest. Picked mine up on December 12th, and had it registered, licensed and was back in the states on Dec. 28th to get away from the winter weather.

Chuck
Chuck Szuch is offline   Reply With Quote