Broken Bigfoot vent, round one above bathroom - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Sewage odors

Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Your being generous Dave. I realized after I posted that it probable was not the bathroom vent/fan but the holding tank stack as you suggest.

I am currently looking at replacing the one on my new to me trailer as well and wonder if anyone has used the 360 Siphon type of vent? Just would not do the install it the way they have in the video! LOL apparently the installer is not big on cleaning up old caulking and using butyl tape. The RV Doctor seems to like this type over the traditional type that the OP has.
Hi Carol,

My wife sent me info about the 360 siphon vent a couple of weeks ago. Our problem has been that we sometimes get a sewer smell inside our 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ when the black tank is getting pretty full. The trailer is stationary right now, I'm using it as home while I work out of town.

I'm a bit confused how the 360 siphon works. It basically seems as if it operates like a suction-type vent fan to pull odors out while the trailer is in motion. The explanation about loss of the water siphon makes sense for sinks and the gray tank. However, the toilet is a straight shot; no siphon involved, unlike house toilets. I can see how the 360 siphon would help with release of odors from the gray tank into the trailer in case of siphon tube problems, but can't see how it would help with the black tank.

I know the seal on the flush mechanism in our toilet is good, because it holds water indefinitely. I'm wondering whether in-travel release of sewer odors, or in our case odor seepage when the black tank is nearing it's holding capacity could indicate some other problematic seal that is allowing odors to get "free" without going through the actual bowl seal.

I've taken apart the toilet in our Casita a few times (not a lot of fun, but not bad once you get the hang of it). Not really looking forward to the first time I have to disassemble the one in the Bigfoot. <_<

Thanks for any ideas.

Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote