Broken Boler Lock Cylinder? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Broken Boler Lock Cylinder?

Hi-

Just bought a 1977 17' Boler.

Somehow I arrived home with the locking cylinder (I actually googled 'parts of a lock' to arrive at that term) completely pulling out of the lock when I try to use the key. Photo below.

Any thoughts on this -- easy fix, impossible, etc.

I have read the debates about locking trailers. For peace of my mind and my neighbors sake, I need a way to keep someone from moving in while it's parked in front of my house. Real estate in Seattle is in high demand.

Thanks for any advice. Off to call the tire store!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7242.jpg  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Is there a screw hole in the back? I think something has come undone and you may have to take the back off or remove the whole lock to find out what went wrong.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Thanks Darwin--

Will look for a screw hole in back when I get a chance to take the lock mechanism off. I did discover that with a lot of twisting I can get it to lock, and then pull the cylinder out to keep with the keys. Not an elegant solution, but will work until I figure something out.

Just made my first purchase for the Boler, a spray can of white lithium grease. I recalled this from last nights late night searches on this site, will check again this morning to be sure that this is the right stuff for a lock. We already have WD-40 but I thought this was also recommended by some of you knowledgeable folks.

Still trying to get to the tire store....if not today, then tomorrow! The tires on it are from 2007 and look kinda sad.

Lise
Old 07-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Something that keeps the cylinder in the barrel has either worn out, broke or is missing.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I believe there is a flat piece with a spring under it that keeps the lock cylinder in place. You push that piece in, then insert the cylinder and it will stay in place. Yours may be stuck in or broken. Go on ebay and search for Bargman lock parts or lock cylinders. Some of the ad pictures are set up so you can "mouse over to enlarge". By doing this you can see the the lock piece, it sticks out the side of the cylinder near the end that is away from the key.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
Thanks All--I so appreciate your input.

I am continuing to do more research before I take the lock apart. I think Mary/Bob hit it right,there is a spring or clip that I am missing that holds the cylinder in. Hopefully it is inside the handle somewhere.

Here are photos that show the cylinder piece I have connected to another piece
--you can see the clip/spring in this photo I got online, and compare it to the piece I have in the photo I took. I just hope that my piece is not broken, just unattached.
Attached Thumbnails
bargman cylinder.jpg   IMG_7242.jpg  

Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

New York
Your top photo is exactly what I was referring to. Your original should be similar, but could be held in by a different method. Usually there is a small hole that lines up with that clip, where you would push a bent paper clip or something similar in to remove the lock cylinder from the latch assembly. Most likely the latch would have to be out of the door to do that. If you recall, many older cars and trucks had a small hole in the face of the ignition switch, next to where the key went in. This was to remove the lock cylinder, but you had to have the key in and turned to do so.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Might be sheared off

Here are some more close up photos of the piece of the cylinder that came out. It looks like it is sheared off or broken.

I looked more closely at the door latch. Below is a photo of the inside. My husband got interested and was able to jiggle a little loose piece around using tweezers from the outside, he even locked it that way.

Discovered it unlocks by pulling the inside latch. There must be a way to lock from the inside, but looks like we're missing a lever of some kind. Making me even more inclined to add a deadbolt somehow. I made the mistake of saying the dreaded word "Bondo" to my husband. He's left the premises.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7252.jpg   IMG_7259.jpg  

IMG_7267.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

I installed a deadbolt on the inside of ours because those door locks can be picked so easy.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

New York
certainly looks like your lock cylinder is broken off. Now off you go to ebay to pay ripoff prices for a replacement. And yes there would be a way to lock it on the inside.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
Darwin that is what I'm considering. Any chance u have photos or how to on your deadbolt install?

MaryandBob I am considering options, one is a replacement cylinder for $50 CDN and the other is a different latch that runs about $50 US

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Our First Boler Mod!

I am likely ordering a new cylinder, someone turned me on to a person on Kijiji who sell them for $50 CDN.

In the meantime my husband came up with a MacGyver that is working great.

He took a paperclip (his preferred tool), straightened it out around some old weatherstripping, and made a "lock" for the gap between the handle pull and the handle frame. You shove it in there and it's barely noticeable. The door handle will not open, so it appears locked. Pull it out and the handle works like intended.

Cost: $0.00

Thought someone might get a kick out of this, I sure did! Plus it's warming him up to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7377.JPG   IMG_7379.JPG  

IMG_7380.JPG  

Tags
boler