broken hand water pump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
My pump suddenly quit working. I've filled it and rechecked all the hoses, still nothing. Before i replace it, I'd like to ask if anyone has ever taken the above counter portion apart and found an internal problem in the pump itself. I'd also like to avoid crawling under the trailer and taking off the wooden case that houses the tank. thanks for any tips.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It is possible it lost it's prime.

Stick your finger over the end of the spout and pump several times.. or more.. and see if you can coax the water up.

These things will loose their prime frequently of they haven't been used on a regular basis.

If that isn't it, they are easy to replace. You should have a nut under the sink and a hose.. the bottom of the pump has a thread that fits through the counter, the nut tightens on that thread (Much like your home faucet) and thats all there should be to it.

I replaced on in my 13 about 4 years ago. It was only 20 bucks or so. Hardly worth tearing apart and fixing at that price.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you have to replace it, it's a big problem. At least it wasn't for mine. There should be three for four screws holding the pump to the cabinet. Once those are taken out the pump should come up and out. The hose going to the pump should still be attached. At that point you should be able to see exactly how to replace it with a new one.

NOTE: I used the word "should" a lot in this.

Byron
Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
It is possible it lost it's prime.

Stick your finger over the end of the spout and pump several times.. or more.. and see if you can coax the water up.

These things will loose their prime frequently of they haven't been used on a regular basis.

If that isn't it, they are easy to replace. You should have a nut under the sink and a hose.. the bottom of the pump has a thread that fits through the counter, the nut tightens on that thread (Much like your home faucet) and thats all there should be to it.

I replaced on in my 13 about 4 years ago. It was only 20 bucks or so. Hardly worth tearing apart and fixing at that price.
Thanks, i will try that. I like to avoid getting parts b/c it's almost 20$ in gas these days to drive out to the rv center.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
If you have to replace it, it's a big problem. At least it wasn't for mine. There should be three for four screws holding the pump to the cabinet. Once those are taken out the pump should come up and out. The hose going to the pump should still be attached. At that point you should be able to see exactly how to replace it with a new one.

NOTE: I used the word "should" a lot in this.

Byron
Yes, i'm very familiar with 'should'. Taking out the old cabinets 'should' have been simple, but the last screw took over two hours and three people to get out. I'm nervous about touching anything on the trailer, usually 1/2 expecting that it will take an extra week than planned.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I recently installed a new one (mounts with three screws from the top), which I ordered from Scamp after not being able to find an exaxt replacement at any of the local RV places. It was very inexpensive and easy to change, especially compared to what I'd have to do to change to a different model.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I recently installed a new one (mounts with three screws from the top), which I ordered from Scamp after not being able to find an exaxt replacement at any of the local RV places. It was very inexpensive and easy to change, especially compared to what I'd have to do to change to a different model.

Parker
Thanks. i'll keep that in mind if i cant fix it or get one here.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We have a leak in our hand pump faucet that comes out at the handle, I tried to add some of that white tape around the nut that holds it in place, but it seems the water is coming out between the nut and the handle... I know they are not expensive to replace, so I was looking for a good replacement. The picture below is of the one we already have, I don't have faith in ordering one just like it, as the one we already have looks new. I looked into the low boy, but wonder how well it really functions having 3 water sources in one faucet. Any advice in this area before we buy one??
Attached Images

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Since you're already contemplating replacing it, you should take it further apart and see exactly how the manf expected the seal to work (might be an O-ring).

It's wise to get the exact same kind so the screw holes line up correctly. It's also not a bad idea to have a spare.

Something all these pumps have in common is that the position the lever is left in determines whether it keeps or loses prime. Directions are usually printed or embossed on the side.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #10

I took this faucet apart, took out all the screws, the tap, and tried to remove the housing from the top case, but it would not release. The handle also would not come out, and that is where the leak is. It apears there is a gap around the metal part of the handle so it can rotate back and forth, that is where water is squirting out from. I can not seal that area and still have the arm rotate, and the way the bend is I can not remove the little nut from the handle to put any kind of gasket in there. It seems it would be just as well to get a replacement. Are there any other pump faucets out there?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
PPL is on the Southwest Freeway in Houston

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pump...-water-pump.htm
Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #12

Thanks Tom, we are considering the low boy, and checking out that RV shop.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Tom,
nice site, good prices! Too bad the sale prices ended yesterday. Dan
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The boating stores, such as West Marine, have better quality pumps than the RV places.

Of course, the price reflects the added quality.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
We just replaced our hand pump with the Valterra Rocket. Very pleased.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I replaced the Scamp factory faucet, after the flimsy plastic handle broke, with a Valterra Rocket. I would not order the one Scamp uses. The Rocket is made much better. The Rocket pulls more water per pump. What I also like about the Rocket is that it has a high spout.

Having said all that, the Rocket is supposed to be repairable. I had the same problem as April and couldn't get the housing off the Rocket faucet. I purchased a new one and installed it. I also carry a spare with me.

Leaking water is something I don't want or a pump that might not pump.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Quote:
I replaced the Scamp factory faucet, after the flimsy plastic handle broke, with a Valterra Rocket. I would not order the one Scamp uses. The Rocket is made much better. The Rocket pulls more water per pump. What I also like about the Rocket is that it has a high spout.

Having said all that, the Rocket is supposed to be repairable. I had the same problem as April and couldn't get the housing off the Rocket faucet. I purchased a new one and installed it. I also carry a spare with me.

Leaking water is something I don't want or a pump that might not pump.

Are you sure it was broken? When I had my scamp the water would leak all over the counter every time it was pumped.....annoying. Water was everywhere. All I did was tighten the screws underneath and it never leaked again. But, it also moved slightly back and forth. Not enough that you would assume that was the problem though. IDK! Good luck!
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #18

Well, ours definitely leaks, and runs right down over the electric outlet on the side of the counter, so we can't live with that... I think we are looking into the "low boy" style with 3 way connection, so we can add to it later. We want to set up a city water line too, and having one faucet do all 3 is a good thing if it really works.

****I just ordered a lowboy 3 way, so when it gets here, we will see how good it is.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well duh, I wouldn't have replaced it if it weren't broken.

I know a broken unfixable faucet when I see one.

It, in fact, was more than broken by the time I got through with it, meaning the darn thing wouldn't come apart so I could fix it.

Quote:
Are you sure it was broken? When I had my scamp the water would leak all over the counter every time it was pumped.....annoying. Water was everywhere. All I did was tighten the screws underneath and it never leaked again. But, it also moved slightly back and forth. Not enough that you would assume that was the problem though. IDK! Good luck!
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=17646F

you could do a mail order if you have all winter like us in Canada. this place seemed reasonable but only had this one in the $20 range. I have a tiny elec pump that works great.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote